Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farm roadways

• 30-07-2024 12:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34

hi guys

Just on looking for a bit of advice, was thinking of putting in a new roadway, shale most probably

4m wide or so

just wondering on depth?

Also did anyone see one of those machines that crush the top layer beautifully or have a rough price on that operation

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Lots of variables there - gradient of ground, soil type, usage, etc. Depth would vary based on how hard the ground is.

If it were me, I'd want to go down to a solid base, then add a layer of terram, crusher run, and then I'd go for road planings as surface.

At least 8" of crusher run and 3-4" of planings. Plenty of rolling as you go. Not sure what depth of shale would be required, but would not think less than 3-4" as well.

If the ground is flat make sure you get it cambered otherwise your heart will be broken with potholes.

These guys do the laneway rejuvenation. To far from me to get a quote unfortunately:

https://www.celticsoil.com/road-recycling.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If it just a cow path shale is on. However if it a roadway for car and machinery I prefer stone. I am doing one at present some of it was an existing old roadway. We cleaned it down, we are putting a 3''down stone on it, tgat is fairly dusty. The part that is new is getting a base of some rock that was broken out of it and a couple of loads of a old shed that was falling down. Will do a land bridge accross a marsh the same way. 6-8" of big stone and 3"down on top.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 Manorpark man

it’s a roadway for cows and machinery, was thinking 10” of shale and maybe 3-4” of finer 804 type stuff, be poor type clay the land it’s in (yellow/blue clay)

Advertisement