Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 Olympic Games, Paris - Athletics thread

• 30-07-2024 1:46am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With the athletics programme fast approaching, it's time to start the thread!

Here's the schedule:

Here's another look at the timetable which includes the race times of Irish athletes

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lRzMKPmNbYKwGgVcsTW04DW2DpcFRtsNucv_l5kCIVY/edit?gid=1827393206#gid=1827393206

Team Ireland are a must-follow for the games as they post much good content, particularly a daily timetable for Irish athletes and their race times.

Let's Run is another great resource for all athletics related content, even if the forums are a bit of a wild west!

Anything else that might be handy for me to post in the OP please let me know :)

Should be a cracking games, Mona McSharry's already after getting us off to a great start so hopefully this'll continue on the track and field!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Ceepo

This morning's men's triathlon postponed until tomorrow, now due to take place after the women's event.

The water quality has been a known issue for the past few weeks. There was talks of just having a Duathlon instead but not decision was made until the earyhours of this morning. Tbh I'm not holding out much hope that the swim will take place at all. It could well be 2 Duathlons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭ariana`

That will also effect the OWS events as well presumably. Daniel Wiffen is entered in the 10k OWS though it wouldn't be his main event. Delighted to see Mona medal and kick off Ireland's medals, hopefully another one tonight. Can't wait for T&F.

It least the Duathlon is a plan B of sorts for the triathlon if the water quality doesn't pick up. I'm not sure what they're going to do for OW 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Anybody heard any rumours about line-up for the mixed 4x400m heats on Friday? I'm presuming it's O'Donnell > Becker > Barr > Mawdsley.

Do people think they'll make the final with that squad? Will Adeleke run if they make the final?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Is anyone going to Paris, or in Paris already? I'm travelling on Friday for six nights, will get to see two days of tennis (six of ten medal matches!) and will be in the Stade De France on the Monday to Wednesday for the athletics. My ticket categories for athletics are primarily B and C so hopefully I'll still have a somewhat decent view, but if not I guess I'll still have a good experience. Getting close now!

• Advertisement

Go on Wiffen ya good thing.

What a tactical master class from him.

I believe the back plan for the 10k swim is to hold it in the rowing centre

Edrick Floreal was interviewed yesterday on Newstalk Lunchtime live,(probably get it on listen back) . He said that no decision has been made regarding "which" rely she will run. Seemed to say that she will have a input into the decision, but it was made yet. He didn't say if she would run the heats though.

Sifan Hassan plans to reveal what events she'll be running tomorrow. She's shown no form at all on the track this year so the sensible thing would be to stick to the marathon, or perhaps an unusual 5k/marathon double. Would be insanity to consider anything more given how she's been running all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Hassan no form will certainly be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

There's pretty much zero chance of Rhasidat running either relay heat. Question is whether she'll run the mixed final if we're in it and we may not find out until very close to the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Hold My Hand

Wiffen said he’d only swim if it’s in the Seine. Looking at the triathlon swim this morning, it’s very challenging. No better man though

Yeah I know that there is no chance of her running the heats, I just thought it was interesting that he was saying she had the input into which relays she'd run. Seemed to say if it wasn't the Olympics then he would be making the decision for her

• Registered Users Posts: 11 fairisfair2024

Do you know what the course is like or what the viewing experience looked like? I have tickets for the 10km swim there but just wondering how much/how little of the athletes I will see. Are they going up and back 500m lengths or what do you know?

Hassan announces on Instagram she's running another triple, including the 5000m, 10000m and the marathon. It's still far too much, but at the very least she's not crazy enough to throw in the 1500 too.

Running the 10,000 and marathon essentially back to back will be tough, but maybe if the 5000 goes badly she can drop the 10000.

I'm not sure what Wiffen experience of open water swimming is, and hopefully he will do well. I know from personally experienced OW is a vastly different beast the pool swimming. There's many more variables to take into consideration such as drafting, sighting your line, there's no black line to follow 🤣, current etc. The ability to be able to read the current is huge, a 1/2m left or right of you could be make a huge difference especially in a river swm where you have both go with and against the current.

Have read rumours of Ciara Mageean having some form of injury in Paris. Have also read about an apparent fall out with a coach. I stress I only read this in an athletics WhatsApp group I'm a part of, so as of now it's just a rumour with zero proof, but if true it might explain her recent below par results. Hope it's bullshit though.

I heard a few week ago that there was a fall out with her coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭ariana`

Oh no. I found myself thinking of her last night when amhran na bhfiann was playing for Daniel Wiffen. I'm so glad she got to experience it at the Euros. There's just been a niggling doubt for a while now with her recent performances. Hopefully all wrong though, she's such a super star, you'd love to see her finish on a high.

Surely that can’t be true? She has always spoken so highly of her training setup in NB Manchester and her great relationship with Helen Clitheroe.

If there’s any truth to this, it’s borderline catastrophic going into the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dolldot2

Oh no Ciara has an injury to be fair she has being fairly quiet on social media most athletes are though … and that would be awful if her and coach relationship has being fractured especially given this will be her last olympics..

Cannot see Rhasidat doing mixed relay she likely solely focus on the individual 400m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭dee75

Going on 7th until 11th. Have tickets for athletics on Thursday 8th (morning and evening sessions) and Saturday 10th (evening). So, so excited.

Honestly I don't know if there's any truth in it. That's what I heard about 2 weeks ago. I was talking to the person who told me earlier on this evening if he had any more info or updates, but he didn't hear anything more about it

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

I fear after the highs of Rome, I think expectations are over inflated. I will give my 2 cents on our "possible" medal events.

1500: Really hope Mageean returns to form, otherwise she might struggle to even make the final. Kipyegon is the super favourite obviously, but Jess Hull has entered a new statosphere this year and then there is the Ethiopians, Laura Muir and a few others. Even if Mageean is on form,I think a medal might be an uphill battle for her, unless it is a tactical battle. Sarah Healy needs fast races to stretch things so really up in the air if she makes it to the final. Sophie O'Sullivan has looked well off the level required all year so might be more for the experience this time around.

400: Rhasidat definitely a contender, but Nickisha Pryce and her "amazing" improvement has really shook things up. Paulino was the favourite, but now I think it's Pryce unless her college season catches up with her. Kaczmarek obviously the other medal contender and I really think Rhasidat needs to improve by .20/.30 to even get a medal. If the preparation has been good and she peaks, she has the potential to win it, but that might require a .50 improvement. Not out of the question when you look at the improvements of Pryce, Kaczmarek, Klaver. Also Sada Williams always runs well at majors and is a dark-horse having 2 World Bronze. Mawdsley making the semi-finals would be a good result for her, but hard to see Becker go beyond round 1. Amazing that we have the full compliment in both 400/1500m. Fantastic to see

Mixed Relays: Hard to call as very dependent on what teams other countries put out. I have said all along that I don't see Rhasidat doing the mixed, even if Ireland do make the final. The US even with a 2nd string should win, but that might depend on if the Dutch have Bol/Klaver on their team. They underperformed big time at the Europeans. The Jamacians and Brits would be also ahead of us if they put out strong teams, but I dont see that happening. Poland, Belgium, Canada, Ireland, even Italy are all medal possibilities, but totally determined by the strengths of the respective teams. We can medal if other teams are weakened, but so many ifs.

Womens Relay: Can make the final even without Adeleke if they run to top form, but i think if the Brits, Jamaicans, Dutch all have full teams, hard to see Ireland getting a medal, even with Adeleke . Canada have a pretty solid if under-rated team as well. Can also see the Poles being much better than they were at the Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ledwithhedwith

Beautiful out for him, isn’t in any way tipped for an open water medal

Looks like it's confirmed now; Adeleke not running the mixed relay this weekend

https://m.independent.ie/sport/olympics/rhasidat-adeleke-likely-to-miss-irish-mixed-relay-teams-bid-for-olympic-medal-to-focus-on-400m-quest/a1880908355.html

Disappointing, but not surprising. Can't blame her really, wants to give herself the best possible chance and nothing wrong with that.

Agree with most of the above.

Personally, I have a very bad feeling about Ciara Mageean. She just hasn’t looked right since the Europeans. As you say, in a fast semi-final, Sarah Healy could do well. I wouldn’t be shocked to see her run a 3.56 and make the final.

The women’s 400m is hard to call. Paulino and Kaczmarek are both super consistent, rarely running bad races. It’s nailed on, both will be near or on the podium. Pryce will medal too if she runs to her potential. That London DL run scared me. She looked phenomenal. For me, the wild card is Eid Naser. What version of her will turn up? If it’s the low 48 version, it’s lights out. Rhasidat Adeleke will be top 5 for sure. In what position, it’s so hard to predict.

I’m more pessimistic than you on the relays. I believe we may scrape into the final of the mixed 4x400m. We have zero shot at a medal without Adeleke. To even make the final, Mawdsley needs to be within 5 meters of the top 3. We’ll do well to be top 6 in the final, assuming we make it. I’m also calling it that we don’t make the women’s 4x400m final without Adeleke. This is where our lack of depth comes back to bite us. Mawdsley is amazing, Becker and Healy are very solid. However, our next best runner Lauren Cadden is only capable of a low 52 leg at best. We’re a 3.24 / 3.25 team without Adeleke. I think it will take a 3.23 to make the final.

Final word on the mixed relay. Bol and Klaver will both run it for the Netherlands. In fact, I could see Bol doing both rounds to ensure they make the final. I’m very disappointed Adeleke won’t run the final, conditional on them qualifying, but I understand why. She’ll have her hands full with the individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I think recent evidence suggests Mageean not going well, it would be more than a feeling. She got injured at Christmas, didnt run in Spring. Even at the Europeans, she didnt need to run super quick times.

It is what it is; the Olympics comes around once every four years, unfortunately that will not coincide with performance peaks for every athlete. C'est la vie.

She is an absolute legend no matter what happens.

Noting that Sifan has opted out of 1500m, obviously good for Ciara if she is going well.

Lets not forget also that Sarah Healy is flying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Are "B finals" in rowing essentially meaningless?

• Advertisement

Advertisement