Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 Olympic Games, Paris - Athletics thread

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭4Ad

Hassan what a runner..my God..What a race !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Some performance from Hassan, running 2.22 on that course in her 3rd race of the Olympics.1 gold and 2 bronze not a bad return at all.

Edit. Apparently she has ran 62k over the last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Fionnuala 28th

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Caprica

What a run by Hassan. A very exciting race, I thought all the running during the week would hurt her. That hill is such killer, she got dropped on it but worked her way back.

Fionnuala was 28th in 2:30, worked her way through the field. Sadly RTE didn’t wait to show it, it would have only been a few minutes extra.

An a,axing week in the track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

2:30:12 and 28th place for Fionnuala in her 5th Olympics. Some going in that heat. Looks like Sinead Diver was a DNF.

Some performance from Hassan. Gotta confess, I figured she'd only be a contender in the marathon given recent performances, but she showed she can still do it on the track and still muster a shoulder charge after 42kms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Sinead Diver stopped after 1km. Had an injury coming into it according to Dave Matthews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

62km (the marathon, the 10,000 and two goes at the 5,000) is nothing to an elite distance athlete. It's the intensity of the racing. She'd have been doing recovery runs as well.

It's...a heck of a feat.

Of course. Apologies I should have been more specific. She raced 62k in the last week.

I'm well aware of the distance elites run on a weekly basis 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭drury..

Sedjati and his coach apparently targeted by French anti-doping officers

No surprise there

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Just caught up on the marathon. Sifan Hassan WOW! What a legend of the sport!!

The marathon was always her best chance of a gold coming into Paris, and she could easily have been forgiven for skipping the track and focusing solely on that. But to attempt a triple and run her best event after already running three races, and 36 hours after the 10000m? Legendary stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭sk8board

saw him interviewed in broken English saying that he had “a pain in his waist”, which sounded to me like he meant a stitch. Happens to the best of us 😀

Am intrigued that he ran in old Alphafly 2, coloured to look like the Paris version of the alphafly 3, even though he’s worn the 3 for over a year now. Clearly they tested his economy as being better in the 2, but I’m surprised Nike allowed it from such a high profile sponsored runner

I didn't take too much notice of his shoes tbh. I suppose the economic value of shoe has to weighed up against the comfort of the shoe. If Kipchoge felt the older version was the best for the race, taking into consideration the course terrain and weather conditions, i'm sure Nike wouldn't give a monkeys. That's not to say that the older one's are more comfortable, but he may have preferred them specifically for this race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Overall, the track and field has been brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

LA with between 8-10hrs time difference issues for it's main audience is going to mean it's a disaster viewing wise.

Evening session athletics a balls too, easy coast would be been manageable, but they've dug a hole for themselves with LA, I know they had it in 84 but that was post cold war and nowhere near as global as it has become.

What's this about LA ?

Who's dug a hole ?

The games were held in Paris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I lover LA the last time, i was a kid and stayed up nearly all night watching it. It'll hardly be an option as a 50-something though....(i might be awake in the early hours though 🤔).

Next two won't be tv friendly for us obviously, Brisbane will be at odd times for Europe too. Would they ever reverse some track events to suit european TV (finals in the morning session?). I doubt NBC will agree that though.

Wad it Michael Jackson that landed in the stadium in 84

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,471 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

No. It was the "Rocket Man", a stuntman called Bill Suitor, who was paid $1000 for the gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭aero2k

I missed the marathon live, but I did enjoy that finish, despite knowing the result in advance. Hassan must have had a few camogie lessons from Ciara Mageen 😀.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

I thought this was interesting, wish I could run just one of those slow k's he mentions!

"We went through the first k in 2:49 which is very slow"

Inside the Numbers: Jakob Ingebrigtsen's 5,000 Meter Gold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Love the varied stories of Olympians. Elle St Pierre came 8th in the 1500m. A touch of the Paul O'Donovan about her. She was back on the dairy farm in Vermont in three days;

https://www.theguardian.com/wellness/article/2024/aug/14/olympic-runner-elle-st-pierre-parenting-vermont-life

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Phenemonal viewing figures for the Olympics

1,400,000 - Kellie Harrington

926,000 - Rhasidat Adeleke

910,000 - Women’s 4x400m Relay

790,000 - Daniel Wiffen’s Bronze

629,000 - Rhys McClenaghan

621,000 - Mona McSharry

429,000 - McCarthy/O’Donovan

https://x.com/DanielHussey2/status/1823462031099404411?t=mAGdVK6TMcaK9SMTds7IUQ&s=19

Advertisement