Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 Olympic Games, Paris - Athletics thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Anyone up for the Letsrun prediction contest? We still have a Boards.ie group from a few years back (where I think I came last). Just Select the Boards.ie club when you login/register. It's free and you can make your picks up until the event kicks off.

https://www.letsrun.com/news/2024/07/200024-paris-track-trials-prediction-contest/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=paris-contest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,538 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Andrew up shortly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Topic was nearly out at the first height with an ankle injury but got the 3rd attempt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Coscoran finished last in his heat 😐 Has he been injured/out of form? I know he's not a medal contender but I'd have thought he'd make the SF's comfortably. I know he's got the repechage but it's not looking good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Only thing I thought there is that with the new repechage format did he shut it down towards then end of lap when he was well out of contention so try conserve something for the repechage. No advantage to finishing 7th or last when it's top 6 to qualify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I think Doyle looked the best out of the 3 Irish runners despite not qualifying although McCann's time was quicker. McCann was probably the unluckiest as it's even more difficult to make a move off a quick pace.

None of the 3 of them positioned themselves too well and Doyle was obstructed just going into the last 200 but I'm not sure he'd have caught a first 6 position.

Times FWIW: Doyle: 3:37.82, McCann 3:35.73, Coscoran 3:42.07 (hopefully saving energy)

Poor Stewy McSweyn got run out after leading too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

That casual start by Ingebrigtsen really was something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,538 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Jody way off the pace here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭secman

Mixed relay 4 x 400 missed out.

Disappointing but not surprising. They've had some good high points this year nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Making an Olympic Semi without their biggest gun is no shame.

As a team they can be proud of their season's work. Although things will feel pretty hollow for Tom Barr now, missing out as he did on qualifying standard over the jumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

How does the reprecage work and is it new to the Olympics

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Sonia saying we need to look at how 6 European teams finished ahead of us. It is not difficult, not having Adeleke is at least a 2 second drop, which would have qualified us comfortably, plus a few European teams had better groups here than Rome.

Always said Adeleke was never running the mixed and it is the correct decision. The reality is not a single individual medal contender ran the heats, we just dont have the depth to replace Adeleke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Notmything

Replaces the fastest non qualifiers system that used to be in place.

Supposed to be fairer and gives competitors 2 races.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭CPTM

I was sure I read somewhere that Mageann was racing in the 800m. Was she ever scheduled to run it, or what happened there? Sorry I've been googling and can't find any reference to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Hamachi

They all ran fairly well. It’s just the level elevates yet again at the Olympics.

We were out of the hunt after the first two legs. Barr and Mawdsley both ran good legs. Had Adeleke been on two, we would have qualified easily. Shame, but what can you do.

One upside is that Mawdsley won’t be worn out going into the individual 400m. She should be targeting the semis and hopefully a new PB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

That was some 10k, unreal pace from the gun.

Ethiopian lads made a rod for their own back and only one managed to last it by mugging the Canadian lad.

Brilliant run from Fisher who didn't panic and stuck it out at an even pace for as long as possible, really timed his finish well.

Great to get back to an even field after the Salazar years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Should also be mentioned that Cheptegui ran a superbly controlled race. He basically did what he wanted and wound it up exactly when it suited. He's a legend.

As for the 'even field' idea, cop on. None of us know what these guys are taking. We watch elite sport with blinkers on. The current crop could be dirtier than Salazar's crew for all we know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

They could be, don't doubt it. But it's a better watch when they are all on the same "thing" or not as the case may be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Caught up with the days action here in my hotel room is Paris. What a brilliant 10k! I think it's the first time I've ever seen one uninterrupted from start to finish and it was utterly absorbing from the outset.

Delighted for both Aregawi and Grant Fisher! Aregawi's ran brilliant times the last couple of years but never got it right when it mattered most. Great for Grant Fisher to get his moment too after agonisingly coming 4th in Eugene.

Disappointing the relay team couldn't make it, but we obviously hadn't a hope without Adeleke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,471 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The Irish Times had her listed for 800m in their daily schedule but it was an error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Coscoran really struggling again there....I'm assuming he's carrying an injury/illness??

Thought Doyle looked the most likely of the Irish yesterday. What a great run to win a race at the Olympics. He had to mix it up on the physical side too. Really well done to him. A performance very close to a PB might make the semi-final a bridge too far, having to run 3 days in a row, but he's made it in at least. That was a serious field he bet.

Coscoran not himself but you could see he tested himself to see if he could pull something off but faded unfortunately.

Not sure what to make of McCann's run he started well back and made his way up to beside Doyle at one point but never pushed on. Running 3:35 yesterday might have taken the zip out of his legs a bit

Delighted for Cathal Doyle. Saw him win the Morton Mile a few weeks ago had a feeling he'd do something in Paris. Great interview there too!

The Morton mile was a great race too. It was one he'd always wanted to win since he was a kid he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Mixed 4x400 was fun! Bol astonishing

Amazing from Bol although also quite predictable. The Americans must be sick. They probably should have dialled it back a bit yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

She's such a phenomenon. You just knew from 250m out and coming from 4th place, she was going to take the win. I think Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone is the best there's ever been, but there's a part of me wants to see Bol beat her over the hurdles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Hamachi

To be honest, if she can run 47.9 starting from lane 4, she won’t be too far behind SML. Either way, that run is sure to get inside Sydney’s head a little.

Fantastic gold medal for the Dutch. It’s great to see the US not dominating every event. Felt sorry for the Belgians. Their first three legs ran exceedingly well, particularly Sacoor. However, the lack of depth for a relatively small country was exposed on the anchor leg.

Advertisement