Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 Olympic Games, Paris - Athletics thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Didn't post yesterday. Was away running myself. Two things.

Cathal Dennehy was questioning the point of the repechage when looking at the positions the qualifiers finished, specifically in the 1,500. I think I like them, especially after what Doyle did, and with a little tweaking maybe around scheduling they could be a decent addition. I certainly don't mind more races to watch.

On the 100m. Wow. This photo is also crazy as you can see the two lads feet are across the finish before Lyles. All about the dip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Correct me if I'm wrong.. But was the team selected before Green ran that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

Barr hadn't ran any 400m time so there would have been a logic in selecting Greene, albeit with risk attached that he was working towards that time. I would have argued he was. And he would have had similar relay experience.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

So the rumours were true about Ciara. Sad for her, it must've flared up quickly because she looked brilliant in Rome?

Doubt she'll still be around for LA but could potentially have one final throw of the dice in Tokyo.

With regards to the Repechage, I'm split between it. From an athlete perspective, it's great to get a further run at Championships and it will hopefully pay off in terms of sponsor bonuses for appearances and an extra chance at a pb. But on the flip side, the rest periods are all over the place. 200m womens was on this morning and repachage qualifiers then faced the next round within a matter of hours. Not nice. High likelihood for injuries.

Repachage for 800 and 1500, because of the unsure nature of the pacing in heats. But sprints repachage? Get rid.

• Advertisement

It will be box office in the mixed zone if Sam Kendricks manages to medal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Poor Ciara, masking agents mustn't be what they used to be.

Dirty little comment. You alleging that she's using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭drury..

Chebet wow

Chebet strength won out there. You'd nearly have put your house on Kipyegon.

I wounder if there will be a complaint lodged, Kipyegon seem to pull Tesgaye back a bit.. Probably won't charge the outcome anyway.

And big run from Hassan for 3rd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Kipyegon disqualified! Hassan silver. Subject to any counter appeal of course

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Kipyegon DQ

Can't see any way KH loses this

She'll keep it fast again

So it seems there was an objection lodged…and I was wrong about the change of outcome. Wow that big news.

Come on now Keely H.

Yes yes yes.. Delighted for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭Xander10

Brilliant run by Keeley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Massive late career progression. Falling out with coach just before biggest event of your career. Seems happy to take the soft Euro medal and walk off into the sunset…

I thought she would stretch them out more from the start

Definitely didn't look her best with the occasion probably and was lucky she wasn't pushed hard in the home straight

Still did enough to win anyhow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Armand Duplantis hardly breaking a sweat on his way to gold in the Pole Vault. He could probably break his own WR (6.24m) if he was pushed a bit, with the amount of clear air he was getting above the bar.

Edit: didn't realise he was still going, and he just set a new WR at 6.25m!

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Despite your lack of logic. You've fallen into the latest conspiracy theory that anyone who drops out at these games, is somehow aware of a new type of test. That's nonsense. There are dopers at work out there as it is and they probably won't be caught.

Mageeans progression is logic personified. Winning the Euros is akin to making it out of the heats here in the women's 1500m. Maybe, maybe a semi final. Your comparing like for like. Mageeans Gold is excellent but she dusted an average field. Dusted em good.

And she did get injured in Jan or Dec at that park run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Expunge

Wrong thread.

Stunning from Duplantis, ninth time he's set the WR. Bubka was still setting the WR at 31, Mondo's only 24, entirely possible he could take it to 6.34, one centimetre at time

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Do they judge on any body part breaking the line or does it have to be the head?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It always seemed to be on, right from his first attempt. Hopefully someone rises up to his standard in the next few years. It's just a little single sided at the moment. Only remember him losing once in the lat few years. Delighted for Kendricks. A worthy silver, but still such a long way behind Mondo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

The lean is to get the shoulder (torso really, as Walter John said) across. Head doesn't count or feet. So you'll see some put their arm up in the air to try and get the shoulder out there.

Delighted for Keeley. I think she looked very anxious and that made the race harder for her than it should have been. The nations of GB expected.

Reinstated. Kipyegon takes silver back. Probably the right decision, just about, but not a great showing from the officials

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Seemed a silly decision to me, I thought kipyegon was more sinned against than sinning (I'm no expert on the exact rules mind.)

Seems a coincidence that these prople keep crashing into Tsegay in the later stages of these big races..…

I hope this repechage is binned

Automatic qualifiers plus fastest losers is an adequate system

Nobody's interested in repechage as a spectacle and athletes are holding back in heats for the repechage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I prefer the repechage. I never liked the advantage the fastest loser system gave those running in the final heat. Maybe biased because of what Cathal Doyle did though!

Advertisement