Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did Ringsend get it so right?

• 31-07-2024 12:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

I'm a culchie who has been living in Dublin for almost 20 years now. Lived in plenty of areas over the first 14 years of that time. From Clonskeagh to Tallaght. My happiest few years though were in Ringsend; just off Thorncastle Street. I remember finding it a bit rough-and-ready when I first moved there, but grew to love everything about it. The ray town locals, the port, the pubs, the proximity to town, the sense of proper community that I would have grown up with down the country, but didn't experience as much of up here in Dublin.

Time moves on and so did I. I was down there over the weekend for the 1st time in years. It's a village with a lot of corporation flats, too much dog sh1t on the streets, but some sort of special vibe that made me almost nostalgic.

What is it about Ringsend? How did social housing work so much better there than it did in other parts of the city? Was it just being D4 and lots of politicians throwing resources at it, or was it something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MichaelMedik

There's a great sense of community in Ringsend, people look out for each other. It might be because a lot of the families have known each other for generations, going to school together, working together in the docks, glass bottle factory, etc. There's also a great GAA club, community centre, rowing clubs, a great park, library, etc. Not sure why it has kept relatively safe and village-like compared to other inner-city areas in Dublin but it has. I'm only a "runner-in" as they say here but love the place, we've great neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Good question. I lived nearby and felt the same about it.

It's interesting how it never had a drug problem AFAIK when it was in close proximity to other heroin blackspots.

Although I heard before the Irishtown House pub was a rough spot with lots of drugs.

I also heard there was a big IRA presence so maybe they kept it under control. The flats on Pearse St didn't have big drug problems either AFAIK.

There used to be a big RA pub on Pearse St.

It's a very sporty area also with lots of clubs and facilities so maybe that helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Dubmany

Do you ever give it a rest?
    You're on the Dublin sub-forum calling people "culchies" and going on about being from "down the country" while you're on the After Hours sub-forum going on about Dublin being a kip full of "Jackeens" and planters

"Dublin is a dirty kip, and it’s full of jackeens" -BD
    "Uneducated Jackeens with planter surnames complaining about everything." - BD
    "I was down in the Algarve a few years ago and we had the misfortune of sharing a hotel with a bunch of red-faced jackeens over on a golf trip...." - BD

Advertisement