Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coffee shop

• 31-07-2024 12:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16

Hi guys, I am looking to open a coffee shop in my local town. I am quite new to coffee and have a few questions.

What are the standard sizes of paper coffee cups that I should have?

I plan to use arabica beans, What brand of coffee do you recommend?

Is there a point in getting custom logo on the takeaway cups right from the start?

Any other knowledge of working or running a coffee shop is greatly appreciated, Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Kurooi

I don't run a coffee business, but enjoy a good cup at home. I'll give you some ideas, seeing as you didn't get a response. Lavazza is popular in coffee shops

https://www.kaffekapslen.ie/crema-e-aroma-1000-g-coffee-beans-lavazza.html?_gl=1*1vjp521*_up*MQ..&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwae1BhC_ARIsAK4JfrxRmbPXGtHaOw4YEQfI2fLze_8bY42voeIsmk0ral07W1mjqVV6b5QaArr2EALw_wcB

Alternatively I had this it's a lot cheaper and just as good

https://www.kaffekapslen.ie/crema-1000-g-everyday-coffee-coffee-beans.html?_gl=1*1sqdr2v*_up*MQ..&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwae1BhC_ARIsAK4JfrxRmbPXGtHaOw4YEQfI2fLze_8bY42voeIsmk0ral07W1mjqVV6b5QaArr2EALw_wcB

Cups- people expect their cappucino or americano in a 8oz cup give and maybe 12oz for the large options especially large lattes and 6oz for flatwhites. You might be happy out having a 10oz one fits all and maybe a 6oz for flat whites and the occassional espresso double shot.

Logo on cups - that doesn't seem to be a priority, I've seen even large businesses and chains serve plain cups. Just make sure they're good quality and lids are secure. Leaky lids is the number one reason I'd dismiss a shop and never come back.

Other than that, I presume you're aware practically all of coffee now is an espresso. At least that's the standard and there is good reason businesses like them too - they can pump out coffee at a constant pace. If you're new to coffee you should familiarize yourself with the machines, it's not rocket science but you should practice, including how to maintain the machine. Some places especially depending on location or if coffee is not their main sell get away with bean to cup but honestly I think a solid reliable manual espresso is just right.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭bergipau

Colin Harmon owner of 3FE wrote a book "What I Know About Running Coffee Shops", it might be worth reading that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Would you not go and work in someone else's cafe to get experience of the daily workings? At least that way you're learning on someone else's dime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gary_dunne

I'd echo what McGrath5 has said. You shouldn't enter into an industry that you don't know much about. Many coffee experts and people who have worked in cafés for years have tried open their own and have failed.

It's a very saturated market and if you don't have much of an idea about coffee or the industry (your questions are extremely basic ones) then it would be madness to try and open a coffee shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭2011abc

Yeah to echo previous posters unless you are filthy rich with money to burn on a ‘hobby’ you’d want to seriously research this .Not only is your timing bad for the Covid and Post Covid mega boom that cafes had but we’re even hitting the end of Summer .Heating( energy) bills probably closed more cafes( and other small business )more than almost any other factor .The country is full of small cafes that are doing everything right and crammed to the rafters with customers but then the gas and electricity bill arrives and they shut :-( Like every investment if you’re not in early you’re not making the big profits.Having said that despite the economy not looking great right now people increasingly have given up on saving for a mortgage or even a car in the case of city dwellers and tragically a few coffees a week ( or even at weekend ) May be one of the few pleasures in their day to day existence.Surely even a week or two ‘work experience ‘ before you set out on this high commitment journey is essential ?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

From the questions,it seems the op hasn't even bothered to walk into a garage that sells coffee, never mind a coffee shop.

Perhaps they should sell coffee made from Tassimo pods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I think before the OP even thinks about coffee, they need to think about their market / customer. This will be the ultimate thing that determines if you business succeeds of not and will also influence things like choice of coffee (is it a third wave, influencer type spot or a local cosy informal place etc). Is your primary customer a take out user, or sit in? Is sustainability important - are you using reusable cups only? This will influence your choice of branding on the cup or not etc.

Do the business fundamentals and the answers to your questions will come from this

Advertisement