Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling Collision Query

• 31-07-2024 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all

I was cycling last week and was in a collision with a car. I was cycling in a bike lane and the car turned right from the opposite side of the road and I collided with it in the cycle lane. The Garda and an ambulance came and I was taken to hospital and had a x-ray on my wrist which thankfully was fine. The driver of the car has admitted liability and i was talking to the insurance company this morning. The bike had a carbon frame which cracked in 2 places so is a write-off. My main query is they asked whether i want to pursue a personal injuries claim. I have a lot of cuts and brusises and pain in my shoulder and knee but nothing is broken. I missed 4 days of work but is it worthwhile pursuing an injuries claim if I dont think i will have any long term damage?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Absolutely, take pictures of everything, especially bruises etc, document and keep a record of every expense. Even if its only inconveniences, physical and mental impact, medical expenses and then the funding of fixing/replacing your bike its 100% worth it. He admitted he wasn't driving safely and this is why people have to get insured, the insurance companies can afford it.

Six months from now that shoulder could still be causing you a lot of trouble and you could be spending hundreds of your hard earned money on physio, taking time of work and devouring ibuprofen daily because someone couldn't drive properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

I'm certainly not advocating making OTT insurance claim, we all end up paying for these in the long run through higher premiums. You attended hospital, so get medical report from them and let Insurance adjudicate, and a letter from employer if you were not paid whilst off work . The claim for the bike is a definite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I'd just log a list of your losses/costs

*bike, helmet, clothing etc

*bike fit if required

*medical costs/excesses

*and work loss/expenses

In relation to injuries, I'd focus on getting better for now and don't make a decision one way or other for a few weeks at least.

I came off my bike in November last when cyclist in front of me went head over heels on a gravel spin. It was 2 months later while doing a very specific task on farm I realised I had a rotor cuff injury. I had forgotten about accident until I was trying to figure out why a relatively light task was painful and why I had limited range of movement.

A bit of hard manual labour fixed it as it turned out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I was t-boned on O’Connell Bridge 12 years ago. I still get numbness down the right side. A recent mri led to a visit to a neuro consultant two weeks ago. All as a result of what was, at the time. A fairly innocuous crash. I never pursued personal injuries. Just some physio sessions. I really wish I had. Spinal surgery is on the cards. Not this time, but definite within the next 10 years.

FWIW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭SVI40

Unfortunately, you can be injured today, but the real extend of it may only surface many years down the line. Get yourself thoroughly checked out. I believe it's a 2 year time limit for a personal injury claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Jesus. That's rough. I was t-boned on Apian Way/ Leeson St junction about 5 years ago… same thing, once bike damage was compensated I didn't take things any further. Touch wood it doesn't catch up with me like you've experienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭thebiglad

It is 2 years from the date you 1st become aware of the injuries. If, something only manifests are 5 years and it can be definitely tied to a non-fault motor accident you can still put in a claim - the longer from the date of the accident it becomes harder, 1 to prove the causation and 2 for the insurer to identify the relevant policy and confirm they can deal with the matter.

If you don't intend to claim for injuries now, that's fine just ensure that the insurer opens a file and that details of the incident and your currently known injuries are recorded whether by your GP or in hospital records. Initially you have 2 years to contact The injuries resolution board (PIAB) - whilst they deal with it the clock stops on the 2 years period too.

Some insurers may offer you something to see off any injuries claim - give it a few weeks/months to ensure all settles down before accepting/rejecting.

All your out of pocket costs and bike etc will be dealt with separately to any injury element

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I think the guidelines are that the PIAB allow claims to be made within 18 months of the incident?

Either way, don't feel you have to give them an answer straight away.

Advertisement