Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Only team captain to speak to referee

• 31-07-2024 1:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭

https://nltimes.nl/2024/07/31/team-captains-will-now-allowed-speak-referees-dutch-football

So the Dutch are bringing in the rule that only team captains can speak to the referee. It will be interesting to see the results of this and if respect for the ref increases. If the goalkeeper is captain then he can designate someone else to talk to the ref for him.

Its about time that a rule like this came in. If it stops teams crowding the ref and influencing decisions it can only be a good thing. I expect we will see a lot of yellows at the start while players adjust to the new rules.

Will also be interesting to see if the Dutch teams show the same restraint when talking to the ref in Euro comps where the rule isn't in place.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Its already applied for Euro games

UEFA EURO 2024 has seen a new policy introduced to shape the relationships between referees and players on the field,
    enhance communication around referees' decisions and encourage mutual
    trust.

The success of this new approach at UEFA EURO 2024,
    understood by the actors of the game and welcomed by public opinion as
    unquestionable progress for the image of football, boosts our confidence
    that this is the way forward. Fair play and respect are values that
    football, the most popular sport in the world, must convey to society at
    large.

Starting with the new season of the UEFA club competitions
    ready to kick off next week, this approach will therefore be extended
    to all matches in UEFA competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Talisman

The International Football Association Board (IFAB) approved the recommendation in March of this year on a trial basis for domestic competitions from July 1st.

UEFA made the decision to implement the trial for Euro 2004 and were so happy with the result that it is to be implemented for all UEFA club competitions for the forthcoming season.

Successful new line of communication between referees and players to be implemented across all UEFA competitions (July 5th)

I would expect that it will soon become standard in all the top European leagues. There was some speculation in November that it would be implemented in the Premier League for this season also but I haven't seen an official announcement of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

It wont happen because it's so instinctive now players simply can't control themselves. If the refs were to enforce it there would be 3 or 4 red cards by half time in most games which nobody want's. It's here to stay like diving we just have to accept it as "part of the game"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I've a season ticket for a Dutch club so I'm very very curious to see it in action.

I could imagine in the euros they won't send people off due to the level it's played at.

I'd love to see them yellow card everyone that isn't the captain that talks to them. Od say the back chat would stop very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You won't see 4 sent off by half time.

Guys will get told to go away if they approach the ref. If they continue, they'll get a yellow. After that they might well approach the ref a 2nd time, but when they are told to go away this time, they will.

Of course a cheap yellow gained this way might influence them getting a red if they put in a bad tackle, but thems the rules. They'll learn.

• Advertisement
Advertisement