Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laurel hedge maintenance questions

• 01-08-2024 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I planted a Portuguese Laurel hedge a few years back. The plants were about a meter tall when I planted them, they have since grown to about 3 meters. Couple of problems…they have become very bare at the bottom half, they've gone from a very healthy looking 2 meter tall hedge to a scraggy looking 3 meter hedge. They are also too wide now for my liking. I did very little pruning or management in fairness.

Ideally I would like to encourage growth of leaves in the lower half, reduce the width of the hedge and reduce the height if necessary.

I do not know how to approach pruning, I don't want to destroy the hedge. If I reduce the width of the hedge by pruning, would you expect the leaves to grow back closer to the middle (there is nothing int here at the moment only branches, I assume because of no sunlight)? Would reducing the height of the hedge encourage the growth of leaves again lower down on the plants? Any other general advice, is now a good time to do this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You can hack portugese laurel to the ground and it will re-sprout. You need to reduce the hedge by at least half, and take the sides in too. You may argue that you want it fairly tall, it will be as tall as you want within a season of cutting it back, two at most.

With all hedges you have to start cutting them back way before they get to the height you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭standardg60

A pic would be good here OP.

But generally, if you leave a hedge to it's own devices it will grow up and out and drop it's lower leaves because as you say they're no longer receiving any light. A good hack should sort them. Start at the bottom and cut back so the branches spring level, and then work inwards as you go up at approx 20°. Bring the height down to wherever the branches are stable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Madd002

Hedge needs to be cut end of March when new growth has sprouted top and sides, and maybe again around Oct if new shoots have appeared again,if not they become woody sparse and harder to maintain.

Each year new growth is about 2ft, but when I cut, I cut down to last years previous cut where old wood is and I use that as my guideline to keep a neat hedge.

Advertisement