Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

child ghosted by friend

• 01-08-2024 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

youngest child (boy 11) had a best friend and up to about a month ago they were in each others house once a week as well as in same class in school. they would have played on playstaion with each other most days as well. i got on well with the other boys parents as well. The last playdate was orgainised by us where they went to the cinema and a week after this i got a text from the other childs mom to say that a group of kids were going to emerald park and maybe i wanted to bring my kid. I did and they had a fun day as far as i know. havent heard from them since and the kids bumped into each other in a shop last Saturday and got on well. my kids playstation was broke for a while so he wasnt on it as much. the other boy blocked my boy on snapchat and playstation from last Monday and havent heard anything since. We come from a small rural community where every knows everyone which makes it harder. I am waiting until i see the other kids parent and i will ask her if the boys had a fight but it seems really weird that boys of this age would be blocking each other. Part of me thinks that my boy must have said or done something which the other parents have seen or heard and are keeping them apart. I have asked my son if he did and checked all devices but i know things can be deleted. I have an older boy and girl and would not be surprised if something like this happened to girls. I know that kids will drift apart and make other friends and its not up to the other boys mom to entertain my kid but it just seems really weird to me what happened so suddenly. I know that my boy is no angel but at the same time he is easy going and rarely gets mad or angry and i think i am upset by this more than him. While he does have other friends and has no problem mixing he did focus on this particular friend a lot and i have told him he cant have just one main friend like this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭SteM

Sorry for the trouble but just want to comment on this part…..

…but it seems really weird that boys of this age would be blocking each other….

I have a 12 year old and his peers get up to this sort of thing all the time. They'd block someone from xbox etc over the slightest issue, it usually gets resolved over time when they meet face to face. Blocking is the go-to way to hurt another kid these days it seems, they're all at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭watchclocker

Maybe the boy has had his PlayStation and Snapchat privileges removed and his parents went about it a strange way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

Kids that age do drift apart, especially if their interests are no longer the same. My now 14 year old had 2 very good friends in our estate - 2 brothers , both sports mad. My son was on the same team as them but played sport for the craic.

Now he's into music. The lads haven't hung around in nearly 2 years. There was no falling out, just drifted apart.

Who knows when the grow older they might reconnect.

As mentioned above blocking on social media or consoles is an instant and often hot headed response to a fall out or minor disagreement - perhaps the modern day equivalent of the use of your choice of expletives followed by storming off in a huff. after a few days its all forgotten. The fact they arent in school means there isnt the oppurtunity for the awkward ' sup dude' ' dude' response which is code for all forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭KaneToad

You say that your lad isn't that bothered. That's great. I'd leave it at that.

Friends come and go. Maybe there was an issue, maybe there wasn't. Maybe it was your kids fault, maybe it wasn't. No need for further investigation if your kid is happy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement