Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pure Telecom Contract Renewal

• 01-08-2024 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with renewing contract with Pure Telecom?

I'm with Pure Telecom at the moment 1gb broadband and phone at €40 per month.

My contract is up on the 16th of August so I contacted them today about renewal. Was disappointed in what they had to offer me.

They couldn't offer me another 12 month contract because i wanted to keep the phone. They could only offer an 18 month contract.

500mb with phone €35 for the first 12 months , then €55 for the next 6 months.

My other option is eir €34.99 a month with phone for 12 month contract.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭SVI40

If you're happy with the quality of service, I'd be reluctant to change for a relatively small savings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭_John C

True, never had any problems with them. Just thought it unusual that they would only renew with an 18 month. If I dropped the phone service; they can do 12 months.

Also; lower speed for more money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭FluffPiece

I couldn't get them to a renewal for broadband, so simply switched supplier to Sky and then recently switched back to Pure. Just going to have to get used to switching every 12 months to whichever supplier has the best value.

I just have the fibre broadband and have no need for phone or tv services. To make it easier on myself each year, I set up a wifi mesh network so all my devices are connected to that and I simply swap the router out each year and everything carries on as before.

I also have my own WiFi system so swapping out a router is no big deal.

But ; I like the Fritzbox I use with Pure Telecom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭GreyAlien

You can still use that Fritzbox with Sky, or whatever other provider you decide to go with. Just need to swap out the credentials and you're away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'm Siro and alternate between pure and sky. Pure don't seem to give decent retention offers.

I just leave my fritzbox and mesh, never need to update any credentials. My sky modem is still in its box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

One less complication for you. I think whats also in your favor is that when your changing providers; your also using the same BT backhaul whether your using Pure Telecom or Sky as your provider. Maybe thats helping the Fritzbox cope with the change from one provider to the other.

My setup is a little different in that; I use the phone service and if I was to switch from Pure Telecom to Sky ; my backhaul would be changing from eircom to BT. My Pure Telecom connection is using eircom backhaul. Sky use BT.

But Im actually leaning towards changing to Sky. Sky are offering 1gb broadband + off peak/weekend phone for €35/month for 12 month contract. Only changes for me would be that my connection will be connecting to BT rather then eir. And Id be changing my router from the Fritzbox to the Sky hub. And €5 cheaper then what I'm paying Pure at the moment.

Whats the Sky hub router like. Is the Wifi easily switched off and is it ok for setting up a few static IPs within the home network?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Pure also use the Eir backhaul network (at least the area I'm in Dublin) as the public IP address I have is always registered as Eir (I know Pure definitely used the BT network for FTTC backhaul in the North West)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭GreyAlien

Pure seem to use both Eir and BT, even on the openeir ffth network.

I originally went with Pure when I first got ftth, was on the eir backhaul. When my year was up, switched to Sky, was on BT. Recently I switched back to Pure and I'm still on BT for ip/backhaul. A small bit annoying, as I was hoping to switch to dhcp instead of pppoe. The eir backhaul supports that, while BT doesn't.

Is the eir backhaul better then the BT backhaul?

On eir backhaul now. Do I need to be concerned over switching to the BT backhaul ?

Decided to go with sky for 12 months . 1gb broadband + off-peak phone for €35 a month. I'll just leave the Fritzbox connected during the switch and see will it work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭JVince

Be very aware of eir.

Yep, €35 for 12 months, then about €75 AND 3% over the inflation figure - so €80+++

Avoid

I'll more then likely go back to Pure telecom once my sky contract finishes.

Seems Pure now charging for routers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

They have always charged for routers at the end of a contract if you don't return them - same thing happened my father too a number of years ago.

Not sure whether to send it back or keep it. It works perfect with the sky broadband but no telephone service. At the moment I'm using sky's SR203 router that gives me telephone service but reboots whenever it feels like it. It can work for a whole week without problem , then it might start rebooting every day or 2. Then I hear "Dad, internets gone again" .

I've factory reset it, but made no difference.

I've the wifi turned off because I use 3 x ubiquiti access points around the house. And I've it's DHCP server turned off because I'm using "Pihole" on a raspberry pi 3 as a DHCP server and ad blocker.

So my choices are, Fritzbox works great but no telephone or Sky SR203 that reboots every so often but has telephone service.

Might experiment with 2 routers . Might start with ONT > Network Switch , then switch > fritzbox , and switch > SR203

🤨

I have this setup since yesterday. No problems works fine

Advertisement