Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robust new policing announced in the UK - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

They then see that there are to be extra police to protect mosques - not synagogues that have been attacked (or Sikh temples that similarly have faced violence). Yvette Cooper has magicked up 117m sterling to fight Islamaphobia

There is favouritism being played, clear "two tier" policing in operation and this is making a situation worse that was already bad.

Under the Conservative Government there was £70 million in funding provided for the protection of Synagogues, £30 million provided for the protection of Mosques -

At the Community Security Trust’s (CST) annual dinner last night (Wednesday 28th February), Prime Minister Rishi Sunak pledged to give the organisation, which was established to protect Jewish community sites, more than £70 million over the next 4 years, as part of the Jewish Community Protective Security Grant. The funding will increase security at a range of Jewish buildings across the country, including schools, synagogues and other facilities used by the Jewish community. 

An additional £4.9 million was also made available in October for protective security at mosques and Muslim faith schools. This brought total funding for 2023 to 2024 to £29.4 million, which the government confirmed will also be maintained in 2024 to 2025. 

The new Protective Security for Mosques Scheme provides physical security measures, such as CCTV, intruder alarms and secure perimeter fencing, to mosques and associated Muslim faith community centres. Protective security measures are also available to Muslim faith schools.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/record-funding-will-protect-jewish-communities-from-harm

Whatever monies Yvette Cooper is claiming Labour Government are providing to combat Islamophobia, was already provided for by the previous Conservative Government -

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/islamophobia-priti-patel-southport-yvette-cooper-ed-davey-b2591588.html

There is always the responsibility on Government to provide leadership. However, that doesn’t excuse yobs and thickos behaviour when they feel leadership from Government is absent, nor does this feeling justify their behaviour. Or, to put it another way, as John Cleese famously did nearly 30 years ago, it doesn’t give sad, paranoid schizoids an excuse for their behaviour:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

but there is no point in second guessing motives , if someone has decided they have had enough they have had enough , on the other hand governments can always amplify a situation or mitigate it, take the floyd case in America, could easily have been mitigated , otherwise rioting just becomes the cost of doing business so might as well be complaining about Hurricanes

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I’m not second guessing their motives, their motives are crystal clear - they’re rioting because they reject the principles on which their country is governed. They (the scumbags rioting), want to rule other people by fear and have them live as the scumbags would want, under threat of violence - that’s where the whole “if only people lived according to the way we want them to live, we wouldn’t have to riot” justification comes in.

That’s where leadership by Government is required to demonstrate that scumbag rule simply isn’t tolerated in a democratic society. That’s what Labour are now proposing with these new measures to tackle violent disorder and extremism. The measures are intended to tackle the behaviour and social unrest caused by violent thugs in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

So, no then. Fair enough. You made the accusation - you should be able to back it up.

I didn't make.an accusation, I made an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

I'm waiting to see the Police kneel before these protesters/rioters... I, jest. However it shows the absurdity of our times. One group of disenfranchised people riot, burn, and cause chaos. Those in government now and the police kneel. Another group does the same, and it is heavy handed police treatment.

I can see why Kier has done this, as he is out of touch with the common man in the country he rules over.

Well, he can ignore reality, but he cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

From the BBC today.

'The Southport attack is just a trigger, not root cause'published at 09:2009:20

More from John Hayes now, who says he doesn't think the recent disorder "has anything at all to do with the Southport stabbings".

He tells the Today programme he thinks there's been "strong undertones of discontent for some time about the levels of immigration".

"This is just a catalyst or a trigger, I don't think it's the root cause," he adds.

"I do get dismayed when I hear Keir Starmer and Yvette Cooper talking about the police are going to come down with the full force of the law etc on these people.

"They need to start listening and understanding that they need to address the cause rather than the symptoms.

"I don't condone the violence but there's an awful lot of unhappy people in this country at the moment that want something to be done and I don't think that until the government starts to address that this problem is going to go away." 

He is correct, and I think he has a position now to try and get those in power to try to understand why this is happening, and do something about it, because all their current actions are just going to throw fuel on a very angry and aggressive fire.

• Advertisement

I'd guess there would be a serious riot in the UK at least once every 2 years, cost of doing business it is so, popcorn at the ready

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

As in both side of the political spectrum. Sorry, I thought that was obvious. You seem to be assigning social media as a means of manipulation for those on the Right. It can also do the same for those on the Left.

Obviously. Which is why I stated , people can be manipulated by social media. Never mentioned left or right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭prunudo

Its funny how the legacy media are blaming social media for all the wrongs. The same media who used various questionable tactics over the years to manipulate readers. The same media who jumped on social media with click bait articles to generate revenue.

Any of the problems seen in the UK would be present with or without social media. Its a convenient excuse for the msm and establishment to join forces and go after a mutual threat.

They can coin all the phrases they want from outside agitors to misinformation but the problems and anger will still there. And belittling those with grievances will not solve the problems.

Post edited by prunudo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Harsh sentences already imposed on several rioters in Liverpool of between 2 and 3 years in prison.

Meanwhile not one prison sentence has been handed down here for last years riots.

Or the recent riots in Harehills… which were also very violent, and the police fled from.

would that be 2 tier policing or 2 tier courts? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭TokTik

You could cross out country in his quote and put in Europe. Every country is feeling this and not one government is listening to their people, bar Hungary and Poland for the time being, and the EU are hammering Hungary for it.

Going to be mad gas to see the 4,000 early released prisoners that labour have said they have to do, only for them to put in a few hundred for protesting/rioting, same with the Just Stop Oil lot who got put into prison recently.

Hopefully those on early release aren't serious criminals, like say murderers, rapists, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I think the UK is all to often locking up the wrong offenders.

I don't know why they locked up Boris Becker? His crime was only financial, repeat was financially not possible, nor was he a violent threat to the public. They could have made him pay, stripped him financially, sentenced him to community work, but shouldn't have locked him up.

On the other hand, the idea of spending time in an overcroweded and old jail could also be a deterrent.

Police were directed to leave the area as the rioters were only interested in being violent towards police, nothing else.

They returned later. No police 'fled' they were strategically deployed away from the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭eggy81

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭eggy81

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

What robust new policing? They've been running amok for the last week or more and the cops in the UK have done nothing.

If you were cynical you'd almost think the government have allowed this violence to go on because they want as much trouble caused as possible as a prelude to digital ID,facial recognition tech, online censorship etc

Also why are the police in certain areas engaging with "community leaders", just do your job and arrest people who are causing trouble and bring in the water cannon, tear gas if necessary.

You want to challenge government policy on emigration do it through the ballot box or completely peaceful protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,049 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

So your okay with anyone who does a financial crimes not facing prison.

So those responsibally for the banking scandal were only stripped of money and do hours of community service you be okay with that. Unfortunately nothing happened them.

The problem is you are seeing it as a victimless crime unfortunately even if it is not seen at first glance there is always a crime. Example Quinn insurance. It was only financial right but no eventually we all fell victims

• Advertisement

Really?

Guess the bus they torched into a smoldering ruin was a police bus, because according to you, the police were the only thing they were interested in being violent towards... nothing else.

Maybe you don't view torching public transport as an act of violence?

Also, if a riot that has been violent has the police leave, how does that make the local residents feel? Secure, safe, aided by the police.

Sorry but your excuses only raise more eyebrows.

Advertisement