Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Spare €35m for The European Club?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Beaulieu

Got great reviews on the Smiley Kaufmann podcast this week along with contributions from JT & Jordan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭JVince

That's tonight's Euromillions and an extra €6-€7m.😁

Plenty of land if they could get permission for resort style housing which would attract retirees. A mini version of Portugal's Bom Successo and White Cliffs resorts on the silver coast north of Lisbon would be nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Hopefully they get a great price - hard to work out what they will do - very little accommodation, or even area they could build a resort. It is a real unusual location.

Have always had a great time there - as Pat Ruddy projects go , I prefer Sandy Hills.

But any time I went , had a great chat with him and he was a pure gent to me. Even giving me a book about the course once.

Love lots of holes on the course - but it is very very hard.

As the east coast goes - it has great gentle undulations and changes . It has some very unusual features. The course has character. Not in my say top 5. But it is a great day out.

For all the frustration of access to the top links now. You always felt if you rocked up there , called , had a chat with them - they would sort you out on some sort of local rate / GI rate.

Anyway - a life project for the family - it is a tough game (golf industry) - so hopefully they get a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Beaulieu

I recall organising a Captains Day for a society I used to be in back in 1995. Pat Ruddy quoted us IR£22 for The European (28 players) and would drop it to IR£20 if we came back in 1996 & 1997. We went in 1995 but I can vividly recall standing on the 8th tee …about 6 balls already lost…and seriously wondering if I had enough left to complete the round!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I love playing the European even if it’s beyond my ability as a golfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

You have toooo much money.. Do you get mates rates.. €290 🤑

GI rate ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭benny79

My favourite course in the Country and I have played a lot of the Top ones and I have never broke 30 pts there! So that tells its own story 😁 and the main reason I took on the Boards Captaincy in 2019! Although I got a bit too intoxicated the night before at a party🤦‍♂️

I just love the place my first ever big course to play and I remember ringing looking for a price kind of nervous as I taught it probably be a big posh place. Pat himself answered and on hearing my strong Dublin accent He said €50 but if I turn up with an American accent it be €250 😂 Legendary. I have always felt welcome there its such a unique place and with Tiger Woods holding the course record just adds to it! I have gotten to know some of the family over the years too You are really made feel at home here. Its sad to see it up for sale. To be honest as places like this are rare! and will never be replaced. 😥

That is spot on Ken - and I would have been intimidated going to the big courses - and had very mixed experiences at them. When I went there, it was probably my best experience. Pat just knows when a person loves the game , and when you love Links golf , you have a connection with him.

As the years past , got confident enough to say to him , I know that this is your home Pat, but Sandy Hills is your masterpiece.

Not sure I ever broke 80 there - got close once (82/83), but invariably it is game over by about the 8th.

Very very tough - and changes every day wind wise. Love the long green hole.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

This club has a high US profile, from chatting to US work colleagues and even tourists on the other links they have all heard of the European, it's ripe for a US purchase in which case the green fees won't be coming down!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭jarrieta

Oh, I guess it makes sense to sell it for big bucks, it has lasted for a long time as a family project.
    It will be a pity, as the welcome from anyone of the Ruddy family was really great and very different from the rest of the big courses in the country.

I used to play fairly (for a big and really hard course) often but haven't played since COVID for one reason or the other. I now live very close, so I will try to get out once more before prices go even crazier, I think the rate nowadays is 70 quid.

If someone wants to join me in a game there that would push me to go and play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Ronney

Use to love the way they held 3 opens a week possibly including Friday and Sunday for €50. Unfortunately rang them last summer looking to get a round. Asked what was the GUI rate and was told there was none and it would be €350…they did add they "Discriminate against everyone equally! 😂"

350 is serious wedge.

I wouldn't play it for that..

Advertisement