Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lean to built on boundary wall

• 02-08-2024 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

Years ago I built a lean to with the rear resting on top of the boundary wall also the rainfall will fall over that wall in to what was a wild scrubland. However recently planning permission is sought for that adjoining field and will undoubtedly get permission. In due course my lean to will be overlooking someone's back garden and any rainfall will fall in to their garden, I could and probably will put an eavron on it and direct the rain to fall on to my side. Its bound to cause an issue with my new neighbours but the lean to has been there for donkeys years whilst the field has layed dormant for even longer. How is it likely to play out, nothing has been built yet. See photo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,387 ✭✭✭✭muffler

So you thought it was acceptable to run rainwater off your property into someone else's property? I'm not trying to be critical but you don't have any rights for this and as it's your problem it will be up to you to fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Totally your problem,you need to fix it,you are encroaching on someone else's property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭JVince

ffs - the op said it was wild scrubland.

Nothing a small bit of gutter pipe won't fix if needed.

No rush. Building probably won't start for a couple of years and even then, the builder might fix it up at no cost.

I would not worry in the slightest and certainly ignore self righteous posts telling you you're a naughty boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,640 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

As above plus the fact that the overhang will need to be brought back inside your side of the wall, a gutter won't cut the mustard here

The new owner could go for to the district court, at your expense to have the boundary corrected

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/act/27/enacted/en/print#part8-chap3

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Happens to be private property owned by someone so get of your high horse chief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Bit of gutter pipe me arse,you have no idea what you're on about,whole overhang needs to be taken back and then gutters and down pipe installed.

Btw it doesn't matter what type of land it was,he encroached on property that wasn't his.

It amazes me at the ignorance displayed by people advising the OP that it its nothing to worry about and its only a bit of waste ground. Then we have the others who thanked that post thinking that this was completely acceptable. The internet sure is a wonderful place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭flyer_query

I think its your tone tbh, I dont think anyone disagrees with you(*) but your delivery needs serious polishing.

OP took a chance based on it being unused scrubland, got many years out of so will need to alter to address the overhang over the boundary and sort guttering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's not a very substantial building so I think your problem can be solved easily enough.

You could erect uprights within your own property to support the lean-to and then cut back the overhang.

Then instal gutter and downpipe with a soak pit.

If it was mine I'd do it asap before any work starts in the other property.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Dr Devious

A lot of "interesting" replies, hopefully some you aren't going to buy any of the houses behind me. As I said it was wild scrubland since the dawn of time and it's not as if I just brazenly erected a structure directly across from the guy living behind me. Anyways the lean to is about 12 feet in length and the boundary wall is somewhere around 100 feet. Most of the boundary wall will have to be raised anyways as I currently can clearly see over it, and I'm not very tall. As elperello said I'm inclined to do as he says and just move it closer to my side, new upright supports etc and cut the roof accordingly and install eavrons too etc. A council engineer has said I should play hardball and do nothing as the building site manager won't want any unnecessary hassle. You could just build another 12 foot ft flat block wall directly behind the current wall and I can eavron my side. Of course once the site manager is gone he won't give a fiddler's puck about the guy who buys the house in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,640 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Of course once the site manager is gone he won't give a fiddler's puck about the guy who buys the house in the end.

Of course not, until it becomes unsale-able due to due diligence by buyers solicitor.

Good to have room in the ignore box for some of the BS-ers and their sychopantic followers

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,656 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The fact it was scrubland meant you got away with it, but it doesn't mean it was legally any less of an encroachment. That's if it was an encroachment. You need to I'd confirm where the boundary actually is. I would not assume that it's centre line of the wall.

If the land behind was scrub land, then your wall could have been built on your land. To be on the boundary, permission would have been needed from scrub owner to build a party wall. If the boundary is the outer face, then adjusting to remove encroachment is much easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,607 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Honestly - it depends on yourself - if it's something that's going to bother you and play on your mind till houses are built then the best thing you can do is fix it now ,

If it doesn't bother you much wether you fix it now or later then wait - it may still be 20 years till the site is developed, and where houses and gardens end up may change 3 times between now and then ,

Also Many boundaries aren't exactly where maps and deeds say they are ,

Chances are it'll all be sorted out very amicably in time , 😁

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement