Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Change to post primary teaching

• 02-08-2024 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am looking for some advise from anyone who is a post primary teacher.

I currently work in the equine industry and have for the last 9 years. As an employee it has a lot of negatives, low salaries and ridiculous schedules. After all that time I have worked up to earning what would be considered a starting salary in other professions. I am desperate for a change and would like to use my past experience in agricultural to teach ag science and Biology.

What realistically is being a teacher in Ireland like? is it exhausting? are the teenagers impossible to control/deal with? I imagine that is very location dependant. Is there a demand for science teachers in Ireland?

Is it enjoyable, has the profession changed a lot in recent years? I've heard people mention things like its not what it used to be, and there is a massive amount of paperwork now a days. Is there much salary growth?

I have already been accepted to an under grad, and I am wrecking my brain trying to decide to go ahead with it or just go search for a admin job, which will be low pay as well in a private sector and limited opportunities. I already have an undergrad degree so I will be liable for full fees, but my previous degree covered some of the same modules so I can apply for exemptions. I don't think I can do a masters as my first degree was only a third (I didn't need a degree for my career path so I didn't really try tbh) and the modules of my first degree don't cover all the topics required for the subjects I want to teach so I don't think I would be accepted to Hibernia.

If I do the undergrad are the teaching placements paid or unpaid, Has anyone done the concurrent science and education course in university of limerick?

I have enough savings to pay for the fees and be ok but I still cant figure out if it will be worth it or not?

please help, much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It is a lot of money and commitment it would take 6 years 4 for your undergrad and two for your masters.

Go to ETB that has an career advice service and get some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Maestro23

If you have a level 8 degree with Ag or other science components you should be eligible for the PME route. If you're qualification is below a level 8 I would look at pursuing a high qualification, it may only take 1 year i.e. to go from a level 7 to 8, or 2 from level 6 to level 8. There are plenty of Agriculture colleges who I'm sure would be happy to help! After you get your undergrad I would look at the PME route and you have plenty of choice there for Ag/Biology (UCD, UCC, Maynooth, Hibernia). The other option would be doing an undergrad course which has teaching incorporated into its qualification, i.e. BSc in Maynooth, 5 years in total, so I would look at PME route first.

You should apply for some sub work now and get a feel for being in front of a class and if you can do it full time as a profession. Maybe try your old school or if you know some teachers ask them?

Best of luck with what ever move you make!

Advertisement