Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grass Rakes?

• 02-08-2024 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭

Grass. Leaves. Ye know the sort I mean 🙂

Grabbed one, locally. Dozen yo. Plastic head. Steel tube handle. Generic: Lasted minutes. Handle buckled. Soldiered on with half a handle? So, the joint split and the head fell off. Marvellous.

Been scouring where we scour for things. S&J keeps coming up, sort of oddly. Didn't know they were big into rakes. Prices can be ever so 'Reassuring' 😧

Okay. If thirty to fifty range it's to be? So be it. Only, I'd love some thoughts, please? What to look out for, even?

Thanks.

Comments

I picked up one of the metal tine expandable rakes in Lidl a couple of years ago and it's handy for multi tasking, it's ok for doing leaves and grass when opened fully and when closed it's stiff enough for scarifying on my little lawn. Does ok in beds too because it can fit in little spaces. Cheap and cheerful, probably pick one up for less than a tenner.

(I found a nearly new bow rake and a garden fork for 15 euro online recently, on a certain second hand website so maybe keep an eye out there too)

The garden shop have a few decent rakes in their range might get some inspiration there.

edit: this kind of thing https://www.thegardenshop.ie/lawn-rake/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Stigura

Thanks, @Babyreignbow. Yeah, I really only have to consider grass. I mean; I don't have borders, and I don't really bother with leaves. This is all about managing rough grass which I'm constantly trying to get manageable.

I see mention of Carbon Steel and things. Sounds sexy as hell. Yet, I've even seen £30+ Plastic headed ones which look every bit as 'vulnerable' as my cheapo one.

I think we need some brand bois here. Anyone got a DeWalt one? 😁

I don't know if Wolf Garten is the DeWalt of garden tools but handy with all the interchangeable heads. Kind of reasonably priced and once you've got the handles you can just buy the tool heads separately. ☺️ I've seen people give out about brands like Spear and Jackson and I've broken three carbon steel forks in as many years. So while I'd spend money on a good secateurs I'll probably leave the golden gark for another day ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Got this about 6 or 7 years ago. Think I left it out in thr rain for a whole winter and it is still like new.

@Babyreignbow " Kind of reasonably priced and once you've got the handles you can just buy the tool heads separately."

😮 Handles didn't seem That bad. 'Grass Rake' head though? Bit tasty, for a choice of one. Their Gutter Clean tool caught my eye. But, £50+ for that alone? Ooch!

Nice touch though. German made. I like the odd hand tool by " Wolf ", myself 😉 Got a couple of their Clamps. Leaves all the generic stuff standing!

Anyway, @Busman Paddy Lasty ; Brilliant. Very much something I was wondering about. Perhaps ye'll know? … What would one of those Bow rakes be like, for grass, please?

I sort of fancy one. Just have this horrible vision of ~ due to the weight of one of them ~ sort of dragging half of Leitrim along, with every rake. We're not talking " Lawn " here, after all. There will be more than one inch long grass clippings. Nor do I want to dislocate my shoulder, should it catch on one 😬

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

I cut the lawn with the grass bag on mower so don't need to use the bow rake for gathering cuttings. It will do that of course just a bit heavier than the below grass rake

@Busman Paddy Lasty " I cut the lawn with the grass bag on mower …"

Exactly. 'If Only!', Lol!

Yeah. I Long for bits of grass I could just run the mower over. Empty a few 'boxes' of Donkey Choke. Trouble is, My stuff always seems to be 'Getting (Completely) out of control', for what ever reason ~ Not always my fault. Thus requiring desperate measures. (This can involve 'strimming')

I've, honestly, tried mowing to box? It gets gnarly. Real quick. I think the grass is just too thick and nasty. Damp, down there, too. Horrible.

Either way, I end up with a mass of clumps of nasty, lumpy, rotting down, yuk. All over the place. I need the Strength to drag it along, without snapping apart. But, without the Weight to dig itself in and I start rolling up Leitrim 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

This is expensive but is good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolf-Garten-UAM-Multi-Change-Springtine/dp/B000RFDHO4/

and or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WOLF-Garten-UIMC-Multi-Change-Leaf-46-5x6-5x4-2/dp/B0001FP0EK/

plus you need a handle - I like this really long one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolf-Garten-ZM140-Multi-Change-Wooden-Certified/dp/B000OY4ZAI/

been using those for about 3 years and they are as good as new. But I'm always careful with springbok rakes as they are easily destroyed with careless heavy handling.

Hunt around for prices as they vary wildly. Amazon can have the same tool for two prices one twice as much as another.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

@The Continental Op said: " This is expensive but is good. " And covered, in post 6, above 😉

Actually, whilst I, instinctively, err toward Steel tines, because steel, coming off a steel, or even wooden handle? It's got that steel joining point, hasn't it? Lot less likely to split than my plastic one. I spotted This, from the link @Babyreignbow just popped up, in response to @elperello

" Plastic rakes are far better for moving large amounts of grass and leaves. "

Ye don't say? And, in post 8, above? I say:

" I end up with a mass of clumps of nasty, lumpy, rotting down, yuk. All over the place. I need the Strength to drag it along, without snapping apart. But, without the Weight to dig itself in and I start rolling up Leitrim "

Could it be, we've finally whittled it down to Just the tool for my, possibly quite particular, job? 😃 Could be the perfect balance between the bouncing light 'Grass' / leaf rake and the self buryingly weighty Bow rake.

Next time I'm in the creamery, I'll have a close look at what ever they have there. Pay for itself, if it can just make it look nicer, out there!

Good evenings work, gentlemen. Thanks. And, don't worry, there's plenty more where this came from. Got a belter brewing, for DIY. Something about joining one thing to another thing. Just beyond my grasp. Doing my head in, That is 🐔

If Wolf Garten did a hay rake adapter it would be the Canyonero of garden rakes.

..yeah, get the hay rake :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Go easy on Leitrim, it's a nice place 🙂

Maybe you are putting work on yourself.

Row the cut grass up with the rake without trying to drag it too far.

Then get your four grain fork to pile it up and lift it.

All of that will be even easier if the place ever drys up.

" yeah, get the hay rake :) "

Yeppers. I've actually just stepped in from, literally, wandering around my grass. Looking for Dog carp, amongst the bright regeneration, already showing through the horrible ….. Well, sod it; This is what I'm dealing with, here. I did think to circle, in red, the ice burg type rocks in there. But, the machine might run out of red ink! As it is? Brown = Dead cuttings. Taller green = Hidden Rocks.

Bloody horrible, eh? And, once I get a new blade for the mower ~ lasted less than a single once over, at highest blade lift! I need to clear That gash up, and mow again. (Probably, and again, and again, an …) And, remember; That's just a snap shot of a random spot. Plenty more of everything.

CO? I hadn't even thought to go back and look for a WG Bow Rake. So; I'd be looking at €50+, to get Their kit in my hand? That's nothing, is it? Seriously. Fantastic looking, 'made for purpose' rake. Only twice the price of the one I'm getting. And, I'll bet they'd laugh till they cried, if I asked if I get a Ten Year Guarantee, for my twenty five quid of plastic, too.

But, 'sadly', I really have no use for any more garden tools 😐️I'd love to keep treating my self to gear of such quality. Just got no need for it. And I'm past the 'Ten Year Guarantee' point of life now! Might not out last the tool! 😁

@elperello " Maybe you are putting work on yourself."

Wouldn't be the first time! 😂 Naah. I Do tend to 'over think' things. Instilled survival instinct, I reckon. But, flip side is that I tend to do much of my work on this thing.

See how I'm garnering all this valuable input on rakes and how to use them? Brilliant! Saved me having to buy and try three or four rakes, Then try to figure out how best to use which ever. I just ask good people who've already found out! 😎

Yeah. I'll go with what ever yellow one the creamery has in. I'll take on board ye training tips too. I'm an OAP. Old and wise enough to know how little I know, about so much 👍️

Update!

So; I asked my neighbour for a two minute trial with His Hay Rake. Figured, why not?

First thing I noticed was the state of it! Looked like a third of the tines are gone. Now, obviously, the guy's a farmer. It's probably old and seen a ton of work. All the same; It Looked like it! (Probably the same rocks?) And, in truth? I'd hoped for better results, on my stuff 😐️

What ever. He went off and came back with a Bow rake. Disappointingly small thing. Metal. Wooden handle. I've given it quite the try, out there. I like it 🙂

Hope to be in town, end of the week. I'll be heading for the creamery. See what they might have in Bow's then. Dunno what choice I'll get?

Unless anyone's seen one on Major Tom's worth a second look? Didn't someone say carbon steel's no good? I want a wooden handle. Know that. I'd prefer wider than the 40cm industry standard. But, there we are. Anything to know, lads? Should I open a " Bow Rakes " thread? 😁

Want a giggle? Remain sitting and check out the ' Gemplers forged bow rake, wood handle. '

Carbon steel could be good, but I've a wooden handle and with a bow rake the handle is usually long and reasonably weighted. I've no idea who Major Tom is but Tirlan would be a good bet for that kind of thing.

Was watching this the other day and was reminded of you :D

@Babyreignbow Carbon good? Ok, thanks. Again, I don't expect a great choice, in the two places in the village. They have True Temper though. I've no complaints with that as a base. Seen rakes there. Just never took notice. Didn't want one.

Plenty of wooden handles too. Though, my rake will have one. I just prefer wooden handles to steel. Especially these Telescopic, steel ones! Urgh! No! 😄

Been back out there. Really does look a lot better, bow raked. Got a -10 x 20' patch? Took a level barrow load of unthinkable looking stuff of that, alone.

Uphill struggle though. Need it short, to see, to remove, the Dog carp, see? I'd like to bring the horses in. Let them eat it. Need some bags in my pockets, after they'd been through though! And that wheel barrow 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I was going to buy one of them for my new house then when my father was strimming the overgrown lawn he found one leaning against a tree down the bottom of the garden 😁

Im all True Temper now, they're cheap but twice as solid feeling as the rest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement