Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Elvis, Ant or Edd?

• 03-08-2024 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭

Which Wheeler Dealer mechanic did you prefer?

Was fond of Edd but preferred watching Ant at work the most.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Comer1

Edd, party because those earlier episodes seemed a bit more real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Edd, definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Didn't like Ant at first but he grew on me. Only seen a couple of episodes with Elvis, I like him but I've had enough of Brewer at this point.

Why wont GAA football fans these days admit Die Hard 5 is muck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Edd, Elvis, Ant.. Could do with replacing Brewer at this stage.

Definitely a guy who thinks he's bigger than the show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I went off brewer after he bad mouthed china after he left. Just came across as mean spirited.

I don't think he liked the idea that more people watched it for the mechanics than the buying and selling.

• Advertisement

Same a few weeks ago.. Some big motor show in the UK and brewer was there with Elvis and Ant.

For obvious reasons it was known that Edd wouldn't be there, yet brewer went on social media and tagged him..

Sh1t childish move. Proved how much of a total plonker he is.

Like you say, started when Edd left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Mam1996

Edd for sure, he was excellent at his job and I loved how he explained everything and made even the most technical fixes appear doable. He was a natural teacher and you could see that he loved his job.

Elvis wasn't great when he started and was only seen doing ridiculous cosmetic work initially. He had previously stated in his own book that despite being an F1 engineer that he knew nothing about road cars and hated when his friends/neighbours asked for help.

As for Ant, I'm certainly not a fan, too intense and high energy for me. Just loves getting his well built arms in every shot lol!

Mike is a salesman and just wants someone to stroke his ego, he messed up when he split with Edd, that's my tuppence worth 😉

I do like Elvis though... He'd grow on you like.

Do you know, during his own series Ant Instead Master Mechanic, he actually admits he has no qualifications as a mechanic.

Everything he does/done is self taught. He's an ex copper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭zg3409

I think Edd partly left because he was moved to USA on a crazy 24/7 filming schedule and did not want that. It's hard to have creative control when the director wants footage of sparks and a quick show. Originally wheeler dealers was supposed to only have a female host and no mechanic.

In terms of who I like Edd probably was the best but they all are good in their own way. Edd was a movie prop special effects designer who worked on Father ted TV series. He hoped by going out on his own he would get his own creative control but his YouTube series is not as watchable at all. You need some sort of a middle of the road approach and it's hard as fixing up classics is basically unprofitable. The amount of days per car is hard to justify a camera crew standing around waiting for paint to dry etc. I know they may work on say 12 cars in parallel over say a 1 month period but the long days are real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Edd was so good, he must've worked under or had real grease monkeys like your man 'Paul' mentor him at some stage before he landed the WD's gig? Doesn't say on wiki.

Why wont GAA football fans these days admit Die Hard 5 is muck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Edd had his own garage business in the UK - I believe it was called Grease Monkey or Grease Junkie.

I read somewhere that he left WD because a new production company took over the show and wanted to greatly reduce the mechanic / technical bits, and he decided to walk away.

I haven't watched it in a long time, saw a few episodes with Ant, but it wasn't as good. Stopped watching then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

iIRC he was involved with a garage whose schtick was that they were for people who were intimidated by garages, the sort of people who might have been screwed over before. But that closed with a loss.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Elvis is an ex F1 mechanic so technically he's excellent.

Ant is an excellent fabricator. He's strong all round.

Edd is more of an inventor. Quirky and innovative.

Advertisement