Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SIRO fibre: switched from Vodafone to Pure, notebook computer can't see new Wi-Fi networks

• 03-08-2024 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭

We have SIRO FTTH.

We were with Vodafone, we switched to Pure Telecom last month.

Pure posted out a Huawei Home Gateway modem/router.

The Wi-Fi from the modem/router is 2.4G and 5G, I'm not really sure what this refers to.

The modem is connected to two desktop PC by ethernet cable = all okay.

In Windows settings, I can see the ethernet and the Wi-Fi connections. The main desktop can connect by ethernet and by the 2.4G WiFi, but not by the 5G Wi-Fi.

The modem is connected to smartphones = all okay.

However, there is an older notebook PC, in a different room, and it can't pick up the new Wi-Fi. It doesn't even see the two new networks, they aren't listed under available networks, although the neighbours Wi-fi is listed (SKY, VM, Eir, etc.).

Could it be due to the age of that notebook PC, simply too old to see the new Wi-Fi networks?

But how come it sees the neighbours Sky, VM, etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Devices equipped with older wireless network cards may not be capable to work on 5GHz wireless network. Easy to check. Go to Device Manager, find the model of your wifi network card (Network adapters) and check the specs - google or any other search engine would easily give the answer.

On the other note - if you have a choice wired vs. wireless - wired is better, in terms of speed and reliability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Thanks.

But it should be able to see the 2.5 GHz network?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

You mean 2.4 GHz? More than likely yes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you tried moving the old laptop closer to the new modem just in case it is a range issue?

You could buy a usb WiFi dongle for the old laptop - they are not too expensive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

wifi banding is on them huawei modems - , u need to disable it and run 2.4 and 5ghz wifi

• Advertisement

Thanks.

I have logged into the modem settings, I am looking for Wi-fi banding, no sign of it so far.

I will also check the wireless network card, to see if it supports 2.5 Ghz and 5 GHz.

I am a bit nervous about changing these settings.

Where might wi-fi banding be?

Thanks. the network card is as follows:

Manufacturer:Intel Corporation

Description:Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160

Driver version:18.33.0.2

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/75442/intel-dual-band-wirelessac-3160/specifications.html

It supports both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz.

I will log into the modem, and have a look for this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

theres an old guide here on boards on how to fix it it you google it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭65535

If the 2.4GHz is transmitting on channel 13 your older PC may not recognise that.

Move it to a lower channel on the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭65535

The older notebook may only handle the older 802.11a which was out in 1999 - 25 years ago now.

I find it easier to get a USB to LAN converter nowadays or you might also get a USB to WiFi adapter which would handle the newer protocols.

Edit: looking at that older notebook it seems to be able to handle 802.11ac

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/75442/intel-dual-band-wirelessac-3160/specifications.html

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've used laptops older than that with modern routers, I don't think that would be the issue. I would delete any stored wireless networks on the laptop, bring the laptop into the same room as the new router, and see is it showing.

The 2.4 network should go further than the 5 ghz one, so that's the one you'd see first. It's also possible to hide an ssid (wireless network) in the router config settings, perhaps that's enabled?

The notebook PC is sitting 1m away from the new Huawei modem, and neither of the two wi-fi networks appear on the screen.

When you set up the phones that can connect, was that by a qr code scan? I think your wifi must be hiding the network name. If you know the network name and password, you can set it up on your pc and connect to it manually, or you can unhide the network.

Thanks.

The SSID names of the two networks are printed on a label on the bottom of the modem.

On a different PC, linked to modem by ethernet cable, I can see those names of the two networks

(1) Huawei - 2.4G - followed by four characters

(2) Huawei - 5G - followed by the same four characters

My phone is connected to network (1) 2.4G, but it also shows the second network 5G as available.

I don't recall any QR when connecting the smartphone.

I recall typing in the security key into the phone, as usual.

Pure Telecom have pretty good support, might be worth a call to them at this stage.

Advertisement