Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birth Cert Requested for Job Interview?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I doubt they would overtly ask, as you say, they would be leaving themselves open.

A long forgotten memory coming back to me, I was asked my age during an interview about 15 years ago. It was a small company that would not have had a dedicated HR department. The MD asked me and I told her my age even though I knew she shouldn't ask. I got the job. Even if I hadn't I would not have had the money to be taking cases. I would not be litigious either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,527 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They could, he OP provided the information. But clearly he hasn't.

Unless previous employers asked to see they same documents, they wouldn't know for sure what his status is. And even if they did know, a referee's say so isn't really evidence that somebody else could accept.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Employers are within their rights to ensure that people they are about to interview are legally entitled to apply for such positions and furthermore to prevent them being called out later for attempting to recurity cheap illegal labour.

Employers are entited to collect such data as part of the recruiting process provided tye follow the GDPR rules and distroy it afterwards just like all other such data. Plus they don't actually need to old it, al they need to do is inspect it and show those who don't qualify the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Ted222

“Employers are within their rights to ensure that people they are about to interview are legally entitled to apply for such positions”

Agreed, but that doesn’t necessarily require evidence of date of birth or formal ID. The cards issued by the state that can be presented to potential employers clearly state that they should not be considered forms of ID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,032 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm not sure that the Irish data protection commissioner agrees with you.

Personally I do. Although I sympathise with the OP'S desire to hide their birthdays. But the DPC thinks otherwise.

Especially as this is for a pre interview assessment, not even an interview.

• Advertisement

What "cards" are you referring to? Just to be clear.

The employer has not requested a formal ID. They have asked to confirm work rights. If you agree that employees need to confirm work rights, then how do you propose that those rights are confirmed? Bonus points if they can be confirmed without identifying the applicant (personally I can't how that is possible outside of a certified redacted copy).

If somebody was going to make a fake claim of discrimination, they could make it whether or not that supplied their citizenship/resident details. So that really doesn't seem relevant.

“What "cards" are you referring to? Just to be clear”

Residence cards issued by the state.

“The employer has not requested a formal ID. They have asked to confirm work rights. If you agree that employees need to confirm work rights, then how do you propose that those rights are confirmed? Bonus points if they can be confirmed without identifying the applicant (personally I can't how that is possible outside of a certified redacted copy).”

I was responding to a post relating to provision of a birth certificate. However, as mentioned above, a residence card confirms capacity to work but are not legal forms of ID.

“If somebody was going to make a fake claim of discrimination, they could make it whether or not that supplied their citizenship/resident details. So that really doesn't seem relevant.”

I was referring to discrimination on age grounds, not race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP a lot more organisations are requesting the documents to confirm right to work before the interview process as they don't want to go down that route without understanding if there's visa requirements involved or not. It's a big undertaking for a business. Less so if a person already has an established right to work but then visa's need to be renewed after a time & if by a small chance it got rejected, there would be a pretty major impact on the employer. I know when we were hiring we looked for it to be prepared. The only influence it had on us was to leave out those who did not already have a right to work as we weren't prepared to go down that road for a junior position.

The business didn't just request your birth cert though. They gave it as an option for those who may not have the other forms of documentation. You can provide any of the other ones. And legally the company must ensure that all employees have the right to work in the country. Not doing that leaves the company open to fines. And accents don't prove anything.

Why is the fact that residence cards are not ID relevant? There was no request to produce ID. A visa is not a legal ID, and was included. A residence would probably be accepted for work rights confirmation.

I was referring to discrimination on age grounds, not race.

Where did I mention race?
    I knew you meant on age grounds, as did I. You've sort of proved how baseless the concern is.

I was responding to a post regarding birth certs.

On the age thing, it’s potentially dangerous to ask for someone’s age if you don’t subsequently offer them a job. I thought it was obvious, but if you have an alternative view, good for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement