Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you do, fellow phone addicts

• 03-08-2024 8:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,637 ✭✭✭✭

Inspired by Clarence's video the other week that had the revelation that music isn't, in fact, great, it would be interesting (maybe that's a strong word) to see what other people listen to in the gym?

Super-educational podcasts? Normal-person podcasts? Your own tunes? Audio books? Whale sounds? Or nothing because you're scrolling TikTok and posting to Instagram stories.

Or are you just better than all of us and don't listen to anything...hashtag rawgym

Might as well kick off...I'm usually listening to one of three podcasts. They're not super-educational (combat sports) and it's not to be more productive… just like them. The sports science podcast i listen to isn't one for the gym because I'd have to listen to it again and actually listen properly. And i take off the headphones if I'm doing something a bit heavier.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,616 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

it’s 99% music - Spotify playlists or maybe a live gig from YouTube.

Occasionally I’ll listen to some comedy….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Cill94

I’ve found the comedy stuff to be a dangerous choice under heavy squats or benches 💀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Cill94

Usually a podcast or music. I get a lot of arousal (..not that kind) from music, so I try to use it sparingly or else I make dumb decisions with the weights I pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Honestly I've tried using head phones,buds etc on and off over the years but I find it distracting and messes with my workout!

I have to suffer at the mercy of the gym sound system lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,637 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

>Kenneth Williams gif<

I'm the same. I always found that if something riled me up, it would throw me off.

I remember someone saying they listened to more sedate music in training so that they could use music that amped them up when they needed it to.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Music mainly... I find podcasts or the news can be a bit down-tempo and also I'm not sure I do my best when my attention is split.

I tend to listen to old man metal if I'm lifting heavy or trying to PR something big. Metallica from the black album backwards... Dream Theatre... That kind of thing.

A lot of the time though, if it's a generic workout I listen to country.

Shane Smith and the Saints

Gabe E Lee

Charles Wesley Godwin

Shooter Jennings

That kind of thing.... Ever since I came across the "Saving Country Music" blog.

If I do listen to a podcast then could be something about tabletop gaming, real easy listening, or maybe a lifting pod (tend to jump about... Joe DeFranco, Dorian Yates, Dr Mike etc).

I stream a lot of BBC radio 4 for news and current affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mindhorn

Lifting: music

High intensity run: music

Low intensity run: I watch some youtube channel as I tend to zone out if I'm listening to a podcast. Dr. Mike or Simon Hill at the moment. Tried to watch Andy Galpin's videos but there's only so many AG1 adverts I can take. Same goes for Huberman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭scottygee

Only music. Tried podcasts, but they don't work for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Can't use music. Back in my running days, the tempo of the music would have affected my pace. I tried at various times to listen through headphones to see if it would help with intensity and tried a variety of genres with varying attributes, e.g. death metal for something fast, doom for something slow, 80s pop for something less in your face and prog for something engaging, but nothing benefits me. Never tried podcasts but I'm not a big podcast person.

These days, I just tolerate whatever the gym is playing, which is an eclectic mix. I just use the gym for peace and quiet* away from family and work life.

*The clanging of bars and plates isn't exactly quiet but it's more peaceful than toddlers complaining that their snack was sliced incorrectly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I see people running, cycling and lifting weights all with headphones on. Sometimes with massive noise cancelling buckos. I don't get it, I find it extremely distracting. I am among the neurodivergent though, so I find it hard to concentrate as it is.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,637 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I do take them off when I get to the business end of a few exercises - anything with a barbell anyway - because I find it offputting.

I'd be OK with them on for running or cycling though but that would be to distract myself from thinking "why the f**k am I running/cycling?"

Advertisement