Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 9 Pro/XL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,784 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Google are really dropping the ball with this especially as there's a hefty price increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,459 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Here's the likely pricing (from Reddit), no cheap options to be sure:

Google Pixel 9 - 256 GB (all colors): €749 instead of €999 (via €100 immediate discount + €150 trade-in bonus). Bonus: free subscription to YouTube Premium (3 months), Fitbit Premium (6 months) and Google One Premium 2TB storage (6 months).

Google Pixel 9 Pro - 256 GB (all colors): €899 instead of €1199 (via €100 immediate discount + €200 trade-in bonus). Bonus: free subscription to YouTube Premium (3 months), Fitbit Premium (6 months) and Google One AI Premium (12 months).

Google Pixel 9 Pro XL - 256 GB (all colors): 999 euros instead of 1299 euros (via €100 immediate discount + €200 trade-in bonus). Bonus: free subscription to YouTube Premium (3 months), Fitbit Premium (6 months) and Google One AI Premium (12 months).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,146 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Would rather they just gave me 12 months of YouTube premium than that other shíte.

I read some articles recently stating that this new Tensor processor has the smallest improvement over its predecessor so far and is more of an incremental update. Google missed some development targets and their big improvements will be coming with the Pixel 10 now, strange time for them to be hiking their prices and removing their usually decent preorder offers then.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

I can see alot of people waiting for the Pixel 10 or jumping ship from Google, as the 9 range doesn't look like it will justify it's lofty price increase.

https://www.androidcentral.com/phones/google-tensor-g4-rumors

The Made by Google launch is in less than 10 minutes and the silence is deafening. Looks like nobody cares about the Pixel 9 range launch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Ryath

Only talking about Gemini Ai just yet. Nothing about devices yet.

Is up on Irish Google store already though. Offering trade in now in Ireland with €200 bonus on pre orderss. Free upgrade to next storage level. Offering €309 for my Pixel 6 against the 512 9 Pro Xl @ €1319 is slightly tempting me. Need to read some reviews and comparisons to decide if it's worth it over the 8 Pro.

https://store.google.com/ie/product/pixel_9_pro?hl=en-GB

I checked the trade in value for my Pixel 8 Pro, it's €419 for a device that cost €1159 10 months ago. That's a hard pass!

The flip side is they're offering me €252 for a OnePlus 7 Pro I have lying around that I bought in 2019. Still don't think I'll bother but actually not a bad offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭dec2000

Yeh did same with the Pixel 8 pro and that apparently includes a €200 bonus. Seems they don't rate their own hardware, even the fold is a lousy trade in value but ironically they'll pay out for iPhones. Hard pass from me too.

Went to look at upgrading the watch to the 45mm version and they've gotten rid of the trade in option for Ireland - seems they don't want people to upgrade from recent devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,258 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They are giving just over 300 for the 6A which is quite good.

I'm actually tempted to trade in my 6A that my wife is using, give her my 8 and get a 9 Pro for myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,048 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Offered me €260 for a perfect pixel 6 which includes a €200 euro 'bonus' so they value their pixel 6 at €60.00 pretty pathetic.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Their trade-ins are embarrassing. CEX are offering €519 for a mint condition Pixel 8 Pro with 256GB of storage. You'd probably get €600 on Adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭henke

Very underwhelming to be honest. I have always been Pixel and always kept an eye on these threads here for each new iteration. This thread is definitely the quietest and by a distance. People used to post their pre-order info here such as version, colour etc and talk about the website crashing and all that other stuff that goes on with launch day.

I think Google have made a big error how they have priced these products. Day to day I don't think people will use AI all that often and it is a novelty that will wear off to a degree. The camera tricks I don't know again how valuable some of them are day to day. Really disappointed that still Qi2 has not arrived on a premium Android phone. The standard was finalised in early 2023 and it's only made it to one budget phone so far. Magsafe has been around a while but Android don't seem bothered. It can be a genuinely useful feature.

I think I'll pass on P9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,784 ✭✭✭lertsnim

A lot of their camera stuff like magic eraser end up on the Google One subscription anyway.

Three have the 9 Pro for €979 and mention trade in available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ZZeee

Any idea if these phones are Locked with Three network?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Yeah their trade in values are pretty bad compared to Google with the 200 bonus and they list every pixel since the 3 but not the 6a funnily enough. I'd rather just go through Google so I wouldn't have to deal with 3.

Phone looks good some interesting features glad there is a normal size pro finally.

The focus on AI is just disappointing and it feels half baked for a launch. How many times did they say AI or Gemini during the event? I'm sure someone did a tally, I feel like they wanted to squeeze this out quick before the pixel 10 on the new tsmc chips.

Even if/when the AI bubble dies and hopefully it does I feel like Google will flog the dead horse for a few more generations to come. Apparently Gemini doesn't do basic stuff like assistant does and you can't have both on a device at once.

The lack of day 1 reviews although normally taken with a pinch of salt is odd and also like a movie or game probably a warning sign too. The only one I found was jerry rig everything and that just shows it won't snap in half easily.

They need to reel in their prices too they are not on the same level as apple or Samsung hardware wise so shouldn't price it as such. Offering a year of AI is not a pre order bonus and holds no value for anyone they are just looking for Guinea pigs to test it until they add it to the killed by Google pile. Only the double storage offer is worth something even though it screams oops we should of started at 256 not 128.

bring back headphones and watches as a pre order bonus at least they are useful or at least make it a choice.

Oh and there seems to be a 10% discount on the 8pro with a 200£ voucher off also on Amazon if anyone is interested in not forking out 1000+ on a new phone and is happy to go 750 on one thats pretty similar and not even a year old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭TheRona

I pay €2.50/month for YouTube premium family plan. Offering that isn't really any value.

I've always been a massive pixel fan, but you can't compare what they offer now to back when the Pro was €900 and you got free Bose headphones worth over €300.

Even my S24 Ultra 512GB only cost a grand, and that's with a free Galaxy Watch 6.

Sad times.

• Advertisement

My point was I value not having ads on YouTube more than their AI shíte. Shove all the AI you want in the phone, grand. Absolutely laughable if you think I'm going to pay a sub to access it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Most of the AI stuff won't work outside US anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 FriutJiuce

The google store is quite more expensive than Three. Do you think they would do a price match? It says they do them however a key point is

"

• For phones, price match is available for unlocked models only. We can’t match the price for carrier models.

"

But Three doesn't lock their Pixels, they're all unlocked so I'm thinking they should do a price match right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭TheRona

Only one way to find out.

A carrier model would usually mean one that is locked to a network and filled with carrier bloatware, which helps to subsidise the cost of the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Didn't think they still did that other than with budget phones haven't seen it in a while. Got a 7a on offer from 3 then popped a Vodafone SIM in and it worked fine no bloatware at all

First hands on I've seen outside of the earlier previews. Performance seems to be a decent upgrade over the 8 pro which is a good sign.

Thinking of biting the bullet but would like to see some proper camera reviews first. Options are €1050 for Black 256mb xl pro from three, €910 for 256 or €1010 for 512 from Google if I trade my Pixel 6. Would like the Hazel colour but three offer is tempting to hold onto the 6 as a spare. Have no working spares in house at moment, last of the bargain Pixel 3a's died recently and they have been needed as spares/backups a few times over the years with 2 teenagers.

Some early first impression reviews. Camera's are no better than the 8 pro really. Selfie and wide angle one are upgrades but I rarely use them. Lots of other little things with build quality improved, battery life/charging speeds are making me think it's worth the extra 250 I'd pay for a 8 Pro in the long run.

The Tensor G4 should have been called the Tensor G3+ according to some benchmark testing, it was never going to compete with Apple or Samsung flagship device chips, but I was hoping it was a big improvement on the Tensor G3 at the very least. Unfortunately it's only a slight improvement:

"The move to new CPU components gives the Tensor G4 a lift over the G3 of about 11.5% in GeekBench 6’s single-core test but only 6.1% in multi-core, likely owing to the loss of a middle core. The Tensor G4 is an octa-core setup compared to last year’s nona-core arrangement. This is reflected in an average lift of just 7.4% in PCMark between the Pixel 8 and Pixel 9 series, which is reflective of typical workloads".

https://www.androidauthority.com/google-pixel-9-benchmarks-3473068/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭chabsey

I stupidly assumed the google store would be the best price available but from looking at three it seems you can get the XL with 256gb AND a trade-in for about 1k. It's been ages since I've bought a phone from a shop like three or Eir and I know this is a extremely basic question but if I buy a three pre-pay version of it, is it locked to Three or the same as buying it direct from Google?

• Advertisement

The 9 definitely seems like a bit of a rushed stop gap. The original rumours were that the G4 was going to a new TSMC made chip but that was delayed so a slightly upgraded G3 Samsung processor was the option. Pixel 10 in lot of ways does seem worth waiting for if you don't urgently need to upgrade. Camera Sensors will surely be upgraded for the 10 also. I'm struggling to hold out though for another year, I really would like to get back to having an optical zoom and all the other little upgrades are worth it over my Pixel 6 I think.

Answered already in thread, Pixels are never locked in Irish market. Threes links were dead the other night when I first saw it but are fixed now. 200 bonus also plus €88 for my Pixel 6 brings me to €762 for a 9 Pro XL 256gb. That's starting to look tempting.

Advertisement