Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions on where to spend our budget

Options
  • 04-08-2024 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

We've recently gone sale agreed on a 1950's semi-detached property that is currently E2 rated and I'm looking for advice on what we should really look to prioritise?

Our budget looks like it'll come in around 120k for renovations and I believe we can potentially go after a home energy grant also. That said that'll also need to stretch to internal fittings & fixtures so trying to see how far I can stretch it.

Off the bat we know we can't afford to extend out the back for the next couple of years given the likely cost so anything we look to do almost need to be with a Phase 1, 2 & 3 approach.

I'm awaiting the house survey to be completed but my gut feel at the moment is we'll likely be looking at rewiring and the boiler looks knackered too so my questions are, bearing the mind the budget:

1. How much is likely to be leftover after a full rewiring?
    2. If we were to replace the bolier, should we look at overhauling the entire system (heat pump etc.) or replace the oil system and bring the gas in off the road? (on the heat pump would that require us to take out all the existing rads and take up floors for underfloor heating?
    3. I'd be interested in the insulation upgrades - the attic seems a no brainer but wondering about the walls - should we look at just doing cavity wall injection or do a full external job?
    4. Anything else I'm missing?

Appreciate this is likely a 'how long is a piece of string' thread but would appreciate any thoughts or ideas!

Cheers

RP

Post edited by RitaPoon at

Advertisement