Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting farm advice

• 04-08-2024 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi

I am hoping to buy some land, 20 arces. It's close to land my mam has and which is rented. ( 26 acres )

The main reason I am trying to buy this is because another farmer will allow me some room to connect it with my mams land through his. Since mams land was bought in 1993 a horrible farmer who owns a 6 foot right of way into it won't allow her to widen it telling people she will buy it cheap.

Can you give me advice on:

1. How I would turn the land good. Mams land has rushes and the land I am buying is wild ( growth of 5 or 6 foot in places )
    2. Making money from it. Should I go into foresty ? Should I get a herd number or is this complicated ? How do I find out if there are entitlements
    3. Can I buy machinery like a tractor and do work to improve and offset against tax in my job?
    4. How to i broach a small drain on the land with very little water in it so that i can connect the 2? Do i just put a pipe down and empty in stone?

Thanks So much...I am very new to this sp appreciate the help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭Austinbrick

Good Luck.

I would make the pipe big enough in case water flow increases over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭roosterman71

1. Graze it down and see what's left. Mulcher for the overgrown stuff, Or digger to clear real heavy stuff
    2. Don't go into forestry. Initial payments are good but your land is no longer agricultural, no longer eligible for some tax reliefs, must permanently stay in forestry, initial monies will stop, you will have to eventually clear it and replant
    3. Yes you can. Talk to an accountant first
    4. Clean it first, then pipe it. Use a big enough pipe - don't skimp on it

Advertisement