Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best night rate electricity plan

• 05-08-2024 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am coming to the end of my FloGas "Community" electricity deal, my current rate is .31C Day and .14C night. I have a day/night meter and a an EV. I have a 60 Kwh battery bank so I'm most interested in the cheapest night rate I can get. My annual energy consumption this past 12 months was 26,000kWh. (13kWh from the grid and the rest via solar)

Many thanks 😀

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,679 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You can renew the Flogas plan at a lower rate, around 25c/12c per kWh if you want to keep the full 9 hours of night rate. Thread below has the details

If you're willing to go for a smart plan and can compress your charging into into 2-5am per day then there's a Pinergy plan which gives 5c for 3 hours per night

There's a welcome bonus of €100 for anyone who says they're a Cooline employee, apparently it still works although I haven't tried it

https://pinergy.ie/pinergy-lifestyle-for-cooline/

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭oaklands

….Pinergy plan which gives 5c for 3 hours per night
    There's a welcome bonus of €100 for anyone who says they're a Cooline employee, apparently it still works although I haven't tried it

FYI: It is still available. I signed up late last week. You have to sign up using a special link, which I only found by searching boards. They wouldn't let me sign up for the 100euros via the website. It still hasn't switched over after 5 days. They said the sign-up bonus will be on the first bill. Its a 24 month sign-up with ev rate @ 5.45 cents (inc VAT) and 37.03 (inc VAT) at all other times.

FIT: "Pinergy feed-in tariff of 25c (ex VAT) payment per kWh" (not sure how VAT is treated…added or not)

With my 15kW DIY battery (with very little solar of ~650kWh/year), I can cover all my daily needs, plus export 2→5 kWh daily using automation on Home Assistant. Since automating the export I have got my daily bill down to ~€1.20 (including all charges/taxes) over the last few months & should be even lower on this new plan. I am also heating the immersion and running the dishwasher during EV rate time, which leaves more to export.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jumpin jack

Thanks for your reply, but what is the "BA thread"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,679 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Thanks Rasin, 😀

I can't seem to find that particular thread, would you have a link to it please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058235650/switching-electric-gas-providers-see-first-post-for-links#latest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Also at end of my deal. Don't see the choice of a day night continuation. I am not a fan of these super low ev rates combined with extortionate day rates, even at 85% night usage. I have a heat pump which will use some day rate

😎

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Choice is still there usually just have to put in your mprn on the websites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 ian123

I decided to switch to Pinergy today for the Lifestyle EV plan and got quite a shock!!!

They sucked 329 Euro out of my payment card once I signed up!!!!

During the signup process I was asked about household size (4), at home (yes) or out during the day and if I had an electric car (yes, hybrid). The EV plan was suggested. I completed the transaction supplying my card details for monthly payments.

Then they charged me 329Euro !

At no point during the process was I advised that a payment would be taken from my card today, nor any indication of how large such a sum would be. The only thing I had agreed to was to arrange future payments on the 29 of every month.

I know from talking to them that they have a level pay system, and I know from previous use of level pay that it can take a while to sort out actual "realistic" payments. I can only presume that they can access the same usage info that the ESB Networks provide base on smart meter - mine has been installed for 2+ years, and I've had solar for the past year, and in credit with my current supplier to the tune of over 600 Euro.

I contacted them to cancel this switch immediately. This is pretty shocking carry on. While they may have the lowest nighttime rates and highest FIT putting this exorbitant charge on my card was just not acceptable.

Pinenrgy operate on a level pay basis and it's recalculated after 3 months.

They are good at refunding outstanding credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Get ready to pay them about one grand over the 3 months, we've all been there but you can ask for the refund after it recalculates, won't be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭oaklands

I signed up to Pinergy last week & chose to pay by CC with bill issued on 1st of every month. I haven't seen any charge come thru yet. But they have set the level pay at ~€295. My billing in recent months has been circa €65 / month and hopefully with Pinergy should move towards €0 or below. (Mainly due to DIY battery export and small solar of 650kWh/year).

Overall, I am OK living with some issues early on, as the rates are good for my own situation.

Also, EnergyPal.ie is a great tool in double checking the best available plan.

PS: Took them almost 2 weeks to complete the xfer.

am very aware of energypal.ie and level pay systems - the fact that pinergy start with a charge that is nearly 3x what the CRU estimates as a monthly electricity usage is ridiculous in this day and age. They also have access to ESB Networks consumption information. There really is no excuse. Also, quite surprised that people are willing to suck it up.

They dont have access to your Previous ESB Networks history, They just get what you use from the date you switch.

Its been almost the standard for pinenergy's default payment amount for the last year.

Not excusing it, but they should have told you before hand what your initial level pay is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

It just doesnt sit well with me either. If they went bust good luck getting refunded. Feels like a gamble ... Would take me 5 years + to use 1000 in leccy! I know its worked well for some on here getting refunded, but also saw a few posting almost weekly on bad comms etc... prefer simple less hassle arrangements!

Given that energy usage details are available from ESB Networks (hdf files) for those with smart meters - I'm surprised there is no option to upload a HDF to support the "level pay" estimation (especially if they have no visibility). I would have willingly provided that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭DC999

But how could a company verify what was in the HDF file people provided? It's an editable excel so you could make a huge usage shows as tiny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭irishchris

Always best for anyone signing up to pinergy to say single person in house. First month circa €115 then dropping month on month with third month down to €5 if decent array and storage.

€5 is the minimum level pay amount even when hundreds in credit in your account. Be prepared also when withdrawing full balance as I did again last week that the level pay for first month after it will rise to just under €50 before dropping back down the following month

Advertisement