Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wood pellet options

• 05-08-2024 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

With very limited options for wood pellets where delivery is required I have gone with balcas for the last few years. There price doubled since my first purchase with no signs of reducing and I think they have a bit of a monopoly. Currently just under 1000 euro for two tonne pallets same cost me 520e in 2021. I've seen a new company now shipping to the Republic called wood-pellets.Direct selling Pelkur pellets from Turkey, has anyone used these before and can recommend? Costs 840 for two tonne delivered to the Republic.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Cheapest I could get was €395/tonne pallet and that was a special offer for a weekend only.

You could try Laois sawmills.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Colm82

Bit the bullet and bought two tonne pallets from WoodPelletsDirect. It came in at 841 euro with exchange rate (720gbp), will report back when they arrive. Hopefully they are good quality as I have found balcas better than other brands I've picked up over the years.

Two pallets arrived today very efficient service and being honest an absolute pleasure to deal with. Can't say the same about balcas. Anyway it'll be a few months before I start to use the pellets so won't yet comment on their quality (although visually look top notch) but for now I can say WoodPellets.direct have been great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭howsshenow

Asking for a friend.. I assume the Balcas pellets are from Irish Softwoods.

What kind of wood are your new pellets made from and are they Uk or European made? Would you have noticed any performance difference in the past?

Thank you.

Balcas are from the north using local or Scottish wood is what they say in their website. Pelkur pellets are Turkish per their website. Both say they are enplus A1 rated which means they are the highest quality. Balcas sell whiter pellets while the pelkur ones that arrived yesterday are brown in colour but not sure exactly what that means likely that only they are from different colour trees? I Won't be using the pellets hopefully for a couple of months so fingers crossed they give good heat with minimal ash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Colour could be an indicator of different tar content, which is one of those lovely uncontrollable things about pellets that can make a mess of your system. Pellets all the way from Turkey… amazing how the eco-friendliness graph on pellets has only gone on to greater heights since I was cursed with them.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Your comment about Balcas reminded me of the time that they banjaxed my front gate doing a delivery while I was out. Can't prove it was them as I didn't discover it till a few days later but I can't imagine what other than a heavy delivery truck could have pushed and bent an iron gate and gatepost.

There isn't a day that goes by that I'm not happy to have seen the back of it.

Advertisement