Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BGS 2024 - Round 6 Macreddin - 17th August 13:40

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Alanm

Yeah, will try to get clubnet updated, final group will go out at 2:40 and @ciano15 will move to the 2:30 slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,039 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

done now

last couple of lines please pay attention to changes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,602 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Website seems a little out of date and untouched for a while. Anyone know if the range is still there and open?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭paulos53

Their social media has posts from June & July advertising their range so it should be open.

Enjoy the day all, especially those playing it for the first time. It is a fantastic course.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Snackbox20

Already here golfers 😁

If you drive through places like knockananna and asknagap, and kappagh, they are all real and are on the Hackett's town route.

Safe journey everyone and see you later.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

M50 is very very busy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bobster453

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Just home. I am broken mentally, physically and emotionally!!! Write up to follow after I try process it myself!! Still had great crack though!!

Shattered

And one leg now shorter than the other

Just in the door after stopping off in Carlow for some late food. Wrecked and have monthly medal tomorrow .

Tested on the course today, write up wil follow.

Hope everyone got home safely.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The yellow tees looked very appealing today. 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭a post punk

Left home at 10am , back home again at 10pm …. Great day out must think about my write up. I don’t think there was 1 easy tee shot or hole 😂

WTF do I hit here ? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Alanm

Here are the results from yesterday:
    1st: @benny79 (35pts)
    2nd: @Concerned2 (34pts)
    3rd: @Macker1 (33pts)
    Gross: me :)
    NTP: @TrueDub
    LD: @Sorbet
    2's: TBC, I haven't gone through all the cards yet.

Well done to all the winners. In hindsight, the yellow tees would have been the better option for this outing, Macreddin is a tough track and fairly tight in places as seen in a couple of the pictures above! I found the greens pretty slow and some of them weren't in the greatest shape. Having the buggys on cart path only also made for some long walks at times - I think I had almost as many steps as I would have on a normal day on my own course.

I really enjoyed my round with @bobster453, 3rd place @Macker1 and @awec. We all played reasonably well in places but each of us had struggles off the tee at different times and most of these resulted in scratches unfortunately. There were some real highlights - Macker with a lovely 2 on the NTP hole, little unlucky not to get NTP too. Both myself and awec had lovely birdies on the short par 4 (6th).

Personally, I had my worst day out with my driver this year, couldn't get it going at all - had 4 points after 4 holes and thought I was in for a really bad day. Managed to find a way to get the ball mostly in play which resulted in 10 pars and a birdie in the last 13 holes (along with a couple of doubles). Off out now to do it all again on my home course.

Thanks all for coming, next up is captains weekend - I'll hopefully get this opened up for booking very soon.
    Alan.

Crazy game ..crap yesterday 25 points or so.

Major comp at home today 84 strokes 67 nett off blues.Equivalent to 41 points i think.

Trying to think what did I enjoy about yesterday..the drive up..the company..the drive home.

Just dont like courses where 1. Too many blind shots..2..Every shot either above or below feet..3..poor greens...4..no leeway if lines are off.

This had them all in abundance. Somebody said they were told by a staff member the greens were 11 on the meter..they need to get it recalibrated is all i can say..more like 2 they were that slow..and poor.

There is a reason i play Cahir rather than Clonmel and that is I aint no mountain goat.Just dont like when legs are used for balance and upper body has to turn more in shots..I spent long enough in traction with back issues to know i dont wanna go there again.

Dont like blind shots..cant visualise what i cant see.

Company as always was great.Played with alanm..macker and awec. All had good moments and bad moments.I started bogey..par..bogey and went rapidly downhill from there.

Corballis has a new friend in courses i will stay away from..and this is it.

5 and a quarter hours here is enough for one lifetime..and thats with a buggy.

Congrats to the winners..indeed congrats to anyone who broke 30 points.

Thanks to our hardworking Captain and committee.

See you all at proper courses next month.

Have a bit of energy in the south east sunshine and after my 3rd round of golf I'll scribe my post match analysis while it's fresh in my memory.

The roads, bye roads, back roads, boreens, and tracks led to Macreddin Golf Club tucked away in the Wickow mountains not too far from a village I recognised - Aughrim, but Delores (my Google map) gave me best route via Knockananna, Kappagh, Asknagapagh, and somewhere else small , but would be worth 45 points with a triple word score in Scrabble.

I was early at the course, ridiculously early, so by the time it came to step up on to the 1st tee, I had clocked 6500 steps between walking to and from my car, to practice area, and the short game area.

I was happy with my practice and my game was decent after a great round on the scramble at Blarney.

The golf course was a mixed bag, a lot of it I enjoyed but my own game frustrated me again. Off the tee I was really happy with how much I have gained since being advised to tee lower ( ooh food is here)

Pause

(A few moments laaaaaaater) Delicious.

My game has been frustrating me and it's the 2nd shot syndrome. I had a shot in my head and split second changed, this happened on the fairway of the index 1 and a few times off the tee. For the indexes 1, 2, and 3 where I had 2 shots to play, twice 3 of the tee and one reload on the fairway 🤬.

The course was a challenge and had some very interesting features and scenery but so much distance between each tee box, the buggy was a recommendation but it still drew out the round to about 5 hours. I had the pleasure of playing again with @break 80, @spacecoyote , and @tigerwood1 , tiger was my co pilot in our buggy which was like a prop out of Jurassic Park - lost kingdom, full of cobwebs, tatty and a dirty seat ????, tiger had a great front 9 going and then the game got derailed on the back 9, tigers arrival to the first tee and the course got to him. Great company and thank you for recreating the Cú Chulainn a few times 🤣🤣🤣. Spacecoyote had a great game going through out, he is long off the tee, that Paradygm AI driver should have a gun licence, he was unlucky on the LD hole, his putting game was very good too, as was @Break80 , whizz kid at draining some long putts on some hard to read greens.

So that was it after a long day but strange game as coming back in I thought 30 PTS was well short, but when @benny79 said he was leading with 35, those 3 reloads gave me the ills, but I didn't feel so bad.

Thanks a million lads for your great company on the round, in the buggies there isn't as much opportunity for the chats but Truffles was happy out having the banter with his playing partners when looking for lost and finding golf balls 🤣

Congratulations to the winners yesterday and once again many thanks and well done to @Alanm and the committee for organising yesterday.

Onwards to Dungarvan for what will be another belter of a captain's weekend. See ye there golfers.

Truffles, I mean Snackbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,602 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Truffles is right @Snackbox20 the man has a talent for hunting down a golf ball in the heavy stuff, to the benefit of all of us!

Macreddin is a tough course. The height of Celtic Tiger grandiosity, a championship course in the middle of nowhere. Given its not too far away, as the crow flies, it really feels inaccessible, from every direction. It's an unsustainable course now which is a pity.

It's a tough, long test. Narrow drives and elevation changes that really make you think your way around.

I played solid on the front 9, turned with 18, including a scratch and I think 2 3-putts.

Wheels came off from around 13, when I lost an innocuous tee shot that everyone saw bounce, but just disappeared never to be found. Another scratch on the way in, for 3 scratches. I think 4 3-putts. The greens were definitely slow and bobbly, and hurt my round today, stepping back onto fast greens at my home course.

Overall my game wasn't bad, definitely left some out there. Drove well, irons were solid enough, chipped alright and putted poorly.

Still enjoyed the day out and the company of @Break80 in the buggy.

None of us shot our best stuff, but everyone contributed something of quality at some point.

As per usual a few pics to finish.

Great pictures @spacecoyote 👌👌👌👌

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

A great day out in the Wicklow hills.

Lots has been said about the course already - the ridiculous length between holes, the sheer amount of dead space on the layout, the punitive drives on most holes, the state of the greens. I won't rehash any of that, but despite all of it I actually really enjoyed the course. As I said to a few people afterwards, it struck me as a layout designed by someone who's used to playing really hard golf courses for a living.

In terms of golf I had an up & down round - some good shots and the odd moment of clever thinking, along with the inevitable duffs, lost balls & brain farts. @a post punk was an excellent buggy companion, and we chatted our way around the course very comfortably. @benny79 and @bakerbhoy were also superb company, with lots of good golf being played.

I had 2 firsts in this round - firstly, the first prize I've ever won, with my shot of the day landing 17 feet from the hole on the 3rd and winning me the Nearest The Pin. Secondly, it's the first time I've ever had to jump out of a moving golf buggy to push it up a hill to avoid hurtling backwards onto the previous green.

All in all, a wonderful day - thanks to @Alanm and the Committee for the all the work. See you all in Waterford.

• Advertisement

Second time playing Macreddin, the first time was pre-covid. I definitely feel it was in better condition the first time I played it.

The hills and slopes didn't bother me at all, I'm well used to that at my own course. But the greens were a joke, unbelievably slow. I never managed to convince myself to hit the ball hard enough, I must have left my putt short on almost every hole. Bunkers weren't in great nick either.

That said, in the grand scheme of things it's still a great course, though probably too difficult for society golfers off the whites when the whites and pins are in positions for the club's medal.

My game was so-so, made a balls of a few holes which meant too many scratches on the day to be in contention. I birdied the short par 4, and I think this might be the first time I've ever birdied a par 4. Scratched the par 5 8th which really frustrated me.

Went round with @bobster453 and @Alanm who I've played with before and @Macker1 for the first time. A good laugh the whole way round, never a dull moment playing with Bobster especially! 😁 Macker played really well, solid the whole way round, the rest of us were very much a mixed bag.

The round was slow, but I honestly think a large part of this is caused by the buggies having to stick to the path. It's a pain in the bollocks to be honest, walking over to your ball with half your clubs in your hand.

Thanks again to @Alanm and everyone else in the background for organising another excellent outing.

Looking forward to Waterford!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Concerned2

What a long day it turned out to be , left home around 10 and arrived home around midnight. You know the course is in a remote part of the country when the selection of stations on the car radio is down to bloody radio 1/2 and today fm! Had a very enjoyable round with @ciano15 @spuddy4711 and @kev_s88 . On such a frustrating course none of them turned into a Tyrell Hatton or Shane Lowery so obviously the lads all have a calm and easy going attitude ! The lads all played well in patches but I guess like most any slight mistakes they made were were severely punished off the tee so it was hard for the guys to build up a bit of momentum.

The day started badly for me when I got to the practice area and went to hit a few chips. I discovered I left my SW at home which is what I use for 90% of my shots around the green so I wasn't feeling too good about my changes of scoring well. Then when we got to the first tee it looked so intimidating and the starter watching you makes it all the harder. My driver has been iffy all year so I tee'd off with the 3w and with a sign of relief it went straight down the middle. That was really my round in a nutshell. Every hole had a scary tee shot and for almost all I somehow managed to hit a fairway or keep out of trouble. I actually finished with the ball I started with which is always a good sign. The only real ikky tee shot I had was on the par 3 7th , I fanned I think a 7 iron out well right of the green , I hit a provisional to the edge of the green but Kev found my ball (thanks Kev) amongst the furzy bushes. I had to take a drop away from the furze bush and still had no opening towards the flag but I managed to punch it out onto the top of the green. I then had a putt which was massively downhill, but despite a reasonable whack my putt stopped 10ft short , I missed the follow-up and ended up with the single scratch on my card.

There again was my round in a nutshell. The greens were the polar opposite from Ballyneety (my home club) and I just could not get a handle on them. I've mixed feelings about my round really as I'm shocked my 34 points was enough for 2nd place but if I could have even putted decently I would have been around the 40 points mark (although everybody else probably had the same issue).

Despite the treacle slow greens there were plenty of highlights on what is a pretty spectacular piece of land. The elevation drop on the 4th was amazing, the tee shot on the index 1 was something else and some of the tee shots like 16 were crazy tight.

As mentioned earlier this would be a hell of a walk without buggies but I have never seen in the middle of summer a course where people were not allowed bring the buggies onto the fairways. It really slowed up the round , I think the first 3 holes took about hour !

I wonder where folk would rank the difficulty of this course amongst the rota that have been used by the society ? I reckon outside of Enniscrone this was the most challenging I've come across. Still delighted I got to play it once and thanks a mill @alanm and the committee for picking this and for all the work they have put in to the society.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Break80

Left my house just after 9 Saturday morning, got home at 11.45 that night. Throw in a 5+ hour round and no food after the round, made it a long tough day.

As space said, this was the epitome of Celtic tiger madness, build a golf course on the side of a mountain with terrible access roads from any angle, appoint a big name designer, build some nice houses on the site, borrow millions to do it, What could go wrong?

I'd say, if you brought that proposal to a bank today, they would still be laughing as they showed you the door.

Cart path was rough, walking to your ball was a pain,greens needed attention in places, course had to be tight with lots of dog legs because of the topography, shame to see beautiful empty houses, BUT I loved it, would love another crack at it if I was a better golfer, some of the holes were stunning TBF.

Had great company as always with Space, Tiger and Snackbox, this man can smell a lost ball and made all our cards look better than they should.

Looking forward to Captain's and the attached social side.

Get a chance to review all the terrible golf played over a few creamy pints.

The starter was telling us that it only has like 150 members or something like that. The place must be absolutely dead Monday-Friday.

Well another epic day out with the BGS on Saturday. Some mileage was racked up by the gang so fair play to all for making the journey to the depths of Wickla. I was lucky enough to play with 3 guys who I've never played with before in @jarrieta @token56 @weapon of grass destruction all great guys and while none of us had the round of our lives, we all had a few shots that demonstrated there is decent golfers within us all. Having the buggies added an interesting dynamic to the day and I was chauffeured around the course by Weapons. As a result though I probably didn't really get chatting all that much with the other pair, but none the less all 4 of us had a good round together with the usual bit of boards banter. TBH I reckon the round would probably have been just as quick with a battery cart and walking. I covered 11k steps on Saturday…. in a buggy!!!!!!

I never played the course before despite staying in the hotel a couple of times. Both occasions I was to play, it was frosted off, so I finally got my turn on Saturday. Pity about the clubhouse or lack there of, it really lets the place down. They seem to have a half decent practice area but the situation of the putting green is a bit ridiculous There is plenty of room close to the club shed/first tee they could stick a proper putting green. Most courses would usually have a putting only green and maybe a second chipping green. They just had one for both and as a result was not really in the best of shape nor did it give a good feel of what to expect on the course.

The course itself I really think is excellent. Practically every hole you play, it feels like you are on a 1 hole golf course. The greens though were a mixed bag to begin with and not great, although probably a bit better on the back 9. To much long grass around trees and off fairways makes for a slow round looking for balls. All to common now around golf courses in Ireland. Some say its nature and rewilding, I say it's bollox and needs to be cut because it's ruining the enjoyment of the game. This is an especially tight course and add in the gorse and trees, makes it a course in it's current condition that people probably would not be rushing back to. It just needs a little bit of TLC on the greens and around the edges in general to bring it to an enjoyable standard.

Standout hole for me had to have been the par 3 4th. Quite difficult to pick the right club with such elevation change and the wind right into your face. Thankfully I choose well and finished on the fringe and got up and down for par. My driving lately has been the worst part of my game. So I left the driver in the bag on the first hole 🤣 My bad drive is a slice so on the second hole I went with the big stick. A subtle slice on a dog leg right worked out pretty well. I went with driver on the third and absolutely crushed it. Maybe I won't be that bad with it today…… Sliced into the gorse on the 5th and then nearly pulled the second effort into the left gorse🙄 Sliced it into the trees on the 6th (found it) and a worse sliced provo out onto the second fairway 😥 Maybe I should just leave the driver in the bag. Par 3 7th gave me a break and while I found the bunker almost pin high with a nice out to less than 3 foot, my real nemesis showed it's head again. After having 3 putting from about 5 foot on the 6th, I only 2 putted this time 😪 So back out with the driver on 8 and another proper slice deep into gorse was of course followed by flushing probably my best drive of the day. Stuck the approach in the water right though. Someone told me last week that I was having a dose of the rights. They don't know how right they were! Anyway 4 iron on 9 up the centre was the way to go, another 4 iron pin high and 2 putts for an easy par on the index 2 😁 I was playing muck and still managed to turn with 15 points 😎

Guess what happened with my 4 iron on 10…. yep… sliced it 🤣 provo with driver was of course crushed up the centre!!!! I just stuck with the 4 iron on the back 9 to reasonable results till the 18th when I thankfully caught the driver well. One thing to note though was the lack of distance off the tee with the 4 iron, while keeping the ball alive, meant that I struggled for pars. I wasn't playing great either to be fair, but deffo the distance off the tee was a factor. 5 pretty much unacceptable 3 putts on the day along with missing a couple of other putts I really should have been making was my ultimate downfall and with 29 points, a better day with the flat stick would have had me in the mix. Worst moment of the day was after hitting a lovely shot into 17, with nothing else to win for the day except try claim a 2, I rolled a 12 foot putt straight at the hole…..3 foot short….arrgghhhhhh.

Well done to all who broke 30 points on Saturday and a special congrats to @benny79 on taking the win and @a post punk for another solid performance (he surely has his name almost etched on the Seve OB Trophy by now. I'll get results up soon so that the post mortems and analysis can commence ahead of the double headed at Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Sorbet

Another great day out with great company again at a Boards event. In my first year with the society, I find myself marking out these dates in the diary and really looking forward to them and although my golf disappointed the day certainly didn't.
    Reflecting on the round I think I would sum it up by saying “I wish my golf was up to the challenge of Macreddin”. Some of the holes are spectacularly beautiful and to my limited knowledge really well designed but they’re not meant for me, certainly not off the white tees.

I was in trouble all day off the tee. It got into my head so much that when I decided to go with the 3 wood after a few I was hitting that worse! That’s not to say there weren’t a few good drives, notably the long drive win 🥇 😀 that could just as easily have been shared with @a post punk - @doublecross measured it out and said there was 3 metres in between but looked very close. Surprised it lasted the groups behind but delighted to get on the list for something and @a post punk has his name in lights for GOTY!

With the poor starts to most holes I never really got going on the day which was disappointing as although modest, my golf has been improving to the point where I’m more regularly playing at or near my handicap so to come away with just 21 points was a poor showing.

The day was saved by the great company I had with @doublecross @charlieIRL who I’d never played with before and @boccy23 who I’d soldiered with in Corvallis. Great partners to have on a day when it was important to keep the spirits up if the golf wasn’t going to elevate the mood. From memory of the four of us I actually had the best start over the first four or so holes. The lads struggled initially but in particular @boccy23 pulled it together and had he started better could certainly have been in the mix, no surprise he is where he is in GOTY. @doublecross is a low handicapper and so with the slow start was hard to get back into it but played some beautiful shots, had his first birdie before his first par which probably summarised his round @charlieIRL had some struggles off the tee which you could tell were frustrating him but credit to him he remained great company the whole way round.
    The buggies have had bad feedback and I agree it was a pain going back and forth with clubs and other than the huge distance between 9 and 10(?) I don’t think they saved any time. That said I did most of the driving for @doublecross and I and thought they were great craic banging through the heavily potholed track!! You might have seen buggy 54 abandoned on the 12th with a flat tyre, I’m blaming the potholes not my speed😀.
    Great day out and thanks to @Alanm and all the committee who put it together. Well done to all the prize winners - some achievement to finish top 3 on that course.

Look forward to seeing you all for Captains where I hope to bring some better golf 🤞

PS. My pics were about the same level as my golf this time but including them anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭blue note

I didn't even play and I'm tempted to give a write up!

It's a course I've played twice and I was looking forward to reading peoples opinions on it. Because it's a course it's hard not to have opinions on walking off it.

I'm disappointed to read the comments on the condition of it. As well as the two times I played it I also walked it when I stayed there and each of the times I found the condition average at best. And I'm saying average in the sense that I don't want to be mean about the condition, because there are very few courses that aren't at least in good condition given the chance (reasonable weather). I found the tee boxes really bad and the fairways very patchy when I was there. It seems to be the greens that are the issue now which is a pity as they're probably more important again.

Buggies are a great novelty and probably needed for that course. I don't like that with buggies you're essentially in two two balls for the round. But they're fun to bomb about in. The distance from the paths to the fairways are a nuisance and it's always just a slow day on the course. I can't imagine a quick round there.

But I love the course. It's probably the hardest course I have played - it's proper long and proper narrow. And missing the fairway doesn't mean you're chipping out, it means you're reloading. And of course, it tends to be windy there. But it's full of interesting holes. You've choices to make for the whole round - often how much you're willing to risk from the tee to give yourself a chance of hitting the green in regulation. The elevation changes are epic, the fourth taking the biscuit. And I love how on your own you feel out on the course. Seve put it very well in saying that it's like 18 1 hole courses. I think of it like IKEA - once you start on the circuit, you just keep going until you get to the end. They're both frustrating at times, you'll end up on a few side quests that add hours, you hope you've brought enough water for the day and they probably take about the same amount of time. But hopefully Macreddin is a bit more fun!

Anyway, well done all on getting through Macreddin and well done to the winners in particular. I hope the society goes back there some future year because I really do think it's a great course. But for now, I'll look forward to seeing you all in Deise county in a months time.

Thanks for that info @sorbet probably my best drive of the day bar the 18th so nice to know I was up there !
    Thanks again to @Alanm for picking this course on the Rota this year, it’s definetly not easy to get to so probably would never have been on the radar but on reflection was 1 of the most challenging courses I’ve played , and also very different to the normal whip out your driver and bomb away.
    Firstly on access for us coming from the southwest the roads were awful and I thought driving up the motorway to the Carlow exit and cutting cross country I’d find a decent place for food on the way before the round but nothing ……..and arriving at the golf club the only option was the Hotel for a toastie and cup of tea for €21 😂😂it’s totally unacceptable that a course can accept society’s and not cater for a golfer travelling a minimum of an hour or in my case 3 hours!!
    Anyway onto the day My chauffeur was @TrueDub we had a great chat going around and was a pleasure to play with, honestly think he hit a lot of good shots and should have featured if the course wasn’t as penalising … we also played with the winner @benny79 ( well done ) & @bakerbhoy but didn’t get a whole pile of time to chat with the buggy’s …. I didn’t realise @benny79 had as good a score but he played solid all day and was giving every putt and shot full concentration so not surprising he won it really.

Really thought the buggy’s drew from the experience having to bring 3-4 clubs every time is just not how we play golf normally and really cannot see how it would matter if we were on the fairways , the pathways were more dangerous in parts. ( As myself and @TrueDub found out 🤣🤣🤣)
    Onto the course 😳😳I don’t think I’ve been to a course virtually every hole is blind or tough to visualise where the ball is going to land… that’s why I used my 5 iron off the tee a lot on the front 9 I just didn’t want to risk the driver. Smart I thought but I fact it left me way too far back at times and hard to score I turned with 11 points and felt I was playing a lot better than my score just needed to stay patient. The back 9 didn’t let up , if anything it got tighter but I got a few good tee shots away and managed to Par 13,14&15 and birdied 17 , I should have parred 18 but the slow greens caught me after a great drive and approach shot. 16 was another story the most daunting drive I’ve hit , it’s just like a big tunnel !! Pull hooked it and had to hack out and generally made a disaster of the hole. I finished with 21 on the back 9 for a total of 32 which was very respectable for the challenge and a very solid finish again for the GOTY table.
    Really looking forward to Captains weekend and revisiting the site of my first ever boards win in West Waterford 😉

PP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

I deleted my post last night after review ,as it was too negative in tone about a beatiful and challenging course. The negative aspects are the blind tee and approach shots. Something Mcginley opined against in his design spiel on the course website.

“I like as few blind shots as possible. I’ll do everything I can, even moving massive hills, to make a shot less blind. I hate hitting over a hill only to find there’s a water hazard lurking, which I didn’t know anything about.

Another aspect where improvement should have been incorporated was in the run offs. Tee and approach shots not massively offline were severely punished into lost balls.

When you do hit it into the run-off areas at Pinehurst, you don’t just reach for your lob-wedge, as you would at most US Opens; you’ve usually got options to play six or seven different clubs. You should never, in golf, be forced to play one shot. You should always have options.

I still loved the course😁

Anyway onto the golf. Played with @a post punk @TrueDub and @benny79 and thoroughly enjoyed their company.

3 wood 6 iron onto 1st green .Noticed the chequered pattern of the green. Multiple grain directions and watched as my companions all struggled with the pace. Two putted for par. That was the highlight.😥The rest of the front nine was either poor tee shot or unlucky outcomes. Aforementioned bounce/run offs , overclubbing on the amazing 4th… 7iron full toss into back bunker. I wanted to hit 8 but just couldn't convince myself it would reach. Meanwhile my buggy companion @benny79 was compiling a nice score, spanish pars and birdies help. @a post punk was taking iron off the tee, strategy that ultimately paid off and @TrueDub was letting it go and was playing some fine shots. The greens did beat us up all day , just could not put enough energy into the ball.Turned with 12 pts really should have been 16/18 so felt aggrieved. After a bit of rallycross aided by my navigator and a bit of bird watching🧐 at the hotel patio, we eventually found the 10th tee. At this stage my confidence in the driver was waneing so 5 wood .Couple of 3 putts and found water on index 1, no heroics played a nice iron over to second fairawy only to find a giant redwood ''poetic license'' completely blocking any approach.

@benny79 who had been strugling on the back side now gave us both a pep talk about a positive attitude and we both promptly were hitting provisionals on the 13th. Positivity was again declared. Both 1st balls were found. My partner could be heard suffering for his craft as he extracated his ball from a gorse bush back to the fairway and we both made 5.

Finished with 16pts for the 9, 28pts overall. 5 hrs 20mins Thats way too long and we had a 3 ball behind us which cannot have been great for them.

More patio watching on the way in. Back to work by 8.20…

Thanks to @Alanm for his work and choices this year and nearer to home for the captains weekend. Hope to have a new shaft in the driver by then. Will need to improve the jug points..

BB

• Advertisement

full results

Advertisement