Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BGS 2024 - Round 6 Macreddin - 17th August 13:40

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭boccy23

Thanks to all for another memorable day out with the Boards Society. One this we can definitely say is that we will all remember this one!

I have been working hard this year on my game and the incremental gains are coming. Dropped by nearly 3 strokes on HI (16.1 to 13.1 on Saturday (13.4 today)) and generally playing consistent golf. I play off 10 at home so to have 16 at Macreddin was nice to see. I had the pleasure of being driven around by @charlieIRL (more on that later) and we met up at the clubhouse and headed for the practice area. We passed the 1st tee and already, I saw there was a real difference between the Whites and Yellows. Had a chat with the starter when @doublecross and @Sorbet joined us and that did no good either. In his Scottish drawl, he said we were mad! So with that in mind, we set off.

1st tee shot was right, just about in play, duff into the bunker, out, on the green for 4 and 3 putts later, walk off with a scratch. Nice start! Continued for the next few holes and had 2 points after 4 holes. Charlie and myself were laughing at whether we could break 10 points for the first 9 (or maybe even the 18!). On the 5th tee I said to Charlie that we were trying too hard to steer the ball and think about where to place the ball instead of just letting it go. I needed to change into a different mindset and that started on the 5th. Hot an ok tee ball into the fairway but still had 190 yards. Just stood over it with a 5W and hammered it to about 18 feet left of the pin. A great shot and it was the injection of confidence that I needed. 2 putt par (the first of any of us in the group!) and I was away. Parred the short par 4 and the next par 3. 2 balls into the gorse on the par 5 8th did for that hole, but that was to be last ball lost. 12 points out and 20 home for a finish of 32 points. Well done to PP for his 32 with a better back 9 to get further away in the GOY standings.

Highlight of the back 9 was probably the 13th where a beautifully struck 6 iron to 12 feet gave me a real birdie chance. Lipped out but the iron shot was a genuine class shot. So overall, I was extremely proud of the way I reset and knuckled down to bring in a decent(ish) score on a difficult day. I know in previous years, I would have frittered away such a round to not break 30 points.

@charlieIRL and myself had a great laugh in the buggy and trying to get each other going. He couldn't get the ball of the tee well enough on the day to score. Struggled to drive the buggy as well and we nearly ploughed into one of the many pines! Only messing! Funnily enough, his best drive was on the LD hole (which was also the only hole that none of us had to hit a provo!) where @Sorbet did him to win the day. Well done sir! @doublecross is a fine golfer who also struggled off the tee. He was also very unlucky with his putting as he shaved so many holes, it was criminal. But we enjoyed the company and had a decent laugh all the way around.

Thanks to captain @Alanm for the experience. Thanks to the organisers for another great day out. Well done to @benny79 on his win. The 20 points on the front 9 was unbelievable. We would have dovetailed really well! Onwards to Waterford for the finale. Stay safe folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,602 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I also have go state my depression at out-hitting the longest drive, and finding the fairway....

With my provisional 😮‍💨

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭a post punk

I found a few more photos to add …..@bakerbhoy mid swing on the big elevation change par 3 for a great ukk ok and down and finding the rough in Index 1 ( which wasn’t hard t on find )

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭a post punk

And of course @benny79 going through his winning routine on the putting green 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,039 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

what about mine by getting up beside it with a 4 iron 😱….. to be in the rough 😤

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,039 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

One thing I forgot to mention. The absolute state of my golf bag and indeed anything in the buggy during and after the round. Was destroyed with dust and dirt. The paths were so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭boccy23

Absolutely! It was in the bag as well as I found out the next day. I used the kitchen cloth when I came😉 home to get the dust off. Herself will never know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

abc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Snackbox20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bobster453

Took herself hours to clean mine ready for golf Sunday morning.

I think she finished just before I awoke..still had time to make the fry up for me.

Some Woman

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Snackbox20

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I haven’t looked at my clubs since Saturday!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bobster453

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭benny79

Sorry for the late post but Electric Picnic will do that to you! 😂 It was a busy week for me knocked out one of the best players in my club Wednesday to reach the clubs semi-final matchplay which was a match I didnt expect to win to be honest but was buzzin after and how I played probably some of my best golf of the year! easy when I dont have a card in my hand! but I got great confidence from it and how I kept my brain quiet. Then onto Macreddin Sat with the mad boardies crew.. Unfortunately Macreddin been my last event of the season apart from The Jug 😎 as I miss the Captains, as I'm on Holidays. First one I have ever missed too and its a double header! 😢 So I knew I needed a good result to cement my position on the Jug so that was my main focus.. So with confidence high and the good company of Post Punk and bakerbhoy, 2 veterans of the society at this stage and Truedub who I never met before but an absolutely gentleman. It had all the hallmarks of a great day.

We all played great golf at different stages. I got off to a flyer turning with 22 points which I was shocked by as I didnt get much sleep the night before a toddler to blame for that! As weapon of mass destruction will adhere too. I conked it in the car on way over even though it felt like we were driving off road at times! I am most proud of my course management as every hole was daunting. I took in the distance and index into account and picked lines in the distance I couldn't reach and bombed it.. Unfortunately at the turn tiredness caught up with me and I started bad. Just 2 points after 4.. But had a rally call with Bakerbhoy and how we would find are first balls having pushed them right into the trees on that very narrow hole! with an air of positively we rightly did! To be honest it was the bit of luck that I needed. So a bit of a wrestle with a bramble bush that won that fight 😂 I hacked it out and finished strong. To be honest I taught I had throw it away. So was delighted with the win and only my second ever boards victory! I loved the course but it is very mentally draining.. 18 holes and I think you only see the flags on 4 of them lol… Plus you would never walk it but as said before its a Celtic tiger course. I taught the greens really let it down too. but still had a great day I think everyone been tired and hungry didnt help it..but I would play it again. Just bring a packed lunch 😁

To top the week off I finished second in the medal on Sunday. 😎 Only disappointing thing is this form of good golf isn't effecting my handicap much! Got 0.2 back after Saturday 🤬 but thankfully lost it again Sunday.. Thank Fcuk.

And then I ended the week in the Picnic to celebrate. Dancing the night away with Kylie.. Rock n Roll 🍻 😂

Hope everyone enjoys the Captains! and see you all at the Jug. Those that make it that is 😉😁

B

Post edited by benny79 on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Finally getting to sit down and try put some of my feelings into words from the round last Saturday. Macreddin is a course I've heard a lot about and is one I've wanted to visit for a good few years. Knew it was going to be tough, I expected it to be tough regardless of the weather and it lived up to its expectations. Imagine playing it in a gale? Maybe when / if I get my game back in some sort of shape I'll go back and give it another crack. Keeping the ball in play is paramount to getting a score here and well done to @benny79 for doing this and getting a great win. Commiserations to everyone else but any score above 30 here was great going!

My inconsistent golf is killing me at the moment, as the lads mentioned, I'm back struggling to get the ball off the tee again. No matter what club i use. Tried an iron but hooked them left, topping / skulling or whatever you want to call them with my driver, its absolutely killing my round. After a recent lesson i thought I had turned a corner, starting shooting 10 - 15 shots a round less and then "Boom" the bad shots came back. They go through the bag, driver to SW!! I can have a few good rounds and then 2 or 3 bad in a row, and not just bad shots, bad rounds. Winter this year will be make or break for me, I either fix it or I give up!! I got an offer for next seasons football last Saturday morning and its too good to pass up so golf may become a once a month hobby again for the new few years - last time i only played once a month, I actually played well!!

Must say the company Saturday was absolutely fantastic as per usual on Saturday, played the round with old friend @doublecross, my second round with @boccy23 but first round with @Sorbet. Apologies again for my golf but the crack was deadly!!! We really made the most of our up and down day and trying to find our way around the course which all 4 of us were playing for the first time. Apologies for nearly decapitating poor @boccy23 going down to the 17th green, I was having wayyyyyy too much fun rallying the buggy around the dusty tracks of Macreddin, probably the highlight of my day - the driving, not trying to kill you!!!

Anyway, we will move on to the final events of what seems the shortest society year ever and am looking forward to heading to the sunny south east for a few days. Golf will be played, pints will be had and golf tales exchanged in what has now become the grand (semi) finale of the society year. I'll be practicing long and hard to try go one better than last time i was in West Waterford and if that fails, I do love a pint of Guinness!!!

Chat ye soon.

Advertisement