Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limewashing exterior cladding

Options
  • 05-08-2024 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi folks, I have a bungalow with some exterior stone cladding on the front that looks very 70s-ish and outdated, I'm repainting the rest of the exterior and want to do a limewash effect on the cladding to take down the dirty orangey/rusty hue of the bricks. The limewash (ideally) with a bit of distressing will look natural rather than painted over. Trouble is I can't find any ready-to-go material here in Ireland that will do the job. There is a Romabio Classico paint in the US looks to be ideal but nothing similar here. Is there a DIY/homegrown method any one can recommend? Thanks kindly. Pic attached of area I'm looking to change.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,092 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you want something traditional this'll probably do it

https://www.roundtowerlime.com/product/lime-wash

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I would be testing a bit at the back fro two reasons.

LW looks okay on random pattern build but not on this, which looks like its just a sliver as opposed to big stones, this stuff sometimes treated with water repellant

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Bag of hydraulic lime (not builders lime) and water - warning gets very hot when you mix it. Loads of youtube videos. Try not to use builders lime as it just doesn't work as well.

Note that traditional lime wash won't stick to the modern paint below the cladding.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 NewCenturion

thanks a mill

yeah will tread carefully, it’s not the entire facade thankfully 👍

• Advertisement

yes it’s just for the olde brickwork, thanks kindly

Advertisement