Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing skirting and architrave

• 05-08-2024 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

In the process of replacing some timber floors and am now thinking of replacing skirting and architraves got my new mitre saw in Screwfix and ready for action, I presume I am going to stick them on with tech7 or something similar I won't be using any nails, any tips or tricks greatly excepted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Buy some panel pins and a hammer.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Patience - by the bucket.

Decide on what material you want to use as there are four choices: bare hard-wood (oak), bare medium/soft wood (pine, etc), primed MDF and sh1tty wrapped MDF.

MDF has some advantages in that it's flexible and you don't need to worry about grain, etc. It's quite consistent and you can buy it in up to 5.2m lengths. Easiest to finish and work-with.

And stick to a painted finish rather than bare unless you're a true craftsman as every mistake shows.

I did a large room at home with a cheap-ass mitre saw and that included areas around steps, and the best complement I got was when we had the painter over to paint the room afterwards, he commented on how good the chippie was who fitted the skirting… best he'd ever seen… he then said I should be a professional until I told him that it took me around 5 evenings (~15hrs) to complete the room. 😂

I glued the most tricky cuts, drilled and screwed-in some of the straight runs and used 0.5m spacers to provide a small gap. All of the edges were then backfilled with an easy-sand filler. The reason for not gluing all of it was that I find it difficult to get the glue to hold on longer sections, plus sometimes you want to get the skirting to follow a poor contour, and screws are best for that.

I used semi-solid oak in one room, and while it turned out well I wasn't able to get the level of finish that I really wanted, but I was able to hide my mistakes, so it still looks ok.

Lastly, before installing or measuring skirting go around the whole room with a bolster chisel and take off any sections of plaster which don't conform, my house had skirting gaps of 10mm at worst due to poor plaster finish.

Hope it helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Something like this will make the process way quicker and easier.

Pictures of your own bad parking WITH CHAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Thanks guys primed MDF I am thinking as doors are painted french white so a length should do each door, might have to use some small nails so small nails gun would be handy and cheap as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Mr321

Plenty of good advice there from @10-10-20

Measure twice and cut once is the other main thing 😁 good luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement