Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Engagement Ring Shopping - Solo or together?

• 06-08-2024 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Ladies, apologies if this has been asked before. I’m wondering what the norm in Ireland is now. Did you go with your partner to pick out your ring or did he go by himself? If you went with him, was it before or after the proposal? What did he propose with if it was after?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Grey123

I bought one for my then girlfriend. It was “off the shelf” so she had the ability to return it if she didn’t like it.

She loved it.

I didn’t know what the norm was but was surprised at the amount of people who were impressed I did it myself. I wanted it to be a proper surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Eldudeson

I had no idea what my OH would have liked in a ring so I bought an "asking" ring. Paid about €100 for it and popped the question. We were together less than a year so I didn't want to pick something and have it not to her taste in engagement rings. That was a bit too much of a risk for me.

Then the next weekend, spent a day in Dublin city centre going around to jewellers looking at rings. I had done a bit of research before so had a good idea where to go and what to look for. It worked out and the day was really nice with a cocktail lunch and nice dinner out at the end of it with the ring on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Go with her, find out what style, size, shape she likes, and what looks good on her hand. Find out if she cares about real or manufactured diamonds. Then buy a ring by yourself. Go somewhere you can choose the characteristics of the diamond. An F colour VS1/VS2 clarity is the minimum visually flawless diamond. There's little points buying better ones.

Post edited by Padre_Pio on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Kurooi

I went alone but only because she told me before, somewhat organically, exactly what she likes. She'd remark on jewellery and I probed a little to get her taste.

Advertisement