Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a house be powered by solar?

Options
  • 07-08-2024 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I live in a small bungalow, 72ms that has 7 radiators. Essentially an apartment sized house

I have whatever the ideal facing garden is, not sure direction.

if I was to get the roof fully covered in solar panels and battery storage would this be enough power to be basically self sufficient, i.e get rid of all the plumbing and replace all the rads with storage heaters?

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Mate of mine got system in and he's basically self sufficient now

So the battery charges from solar during the day and (Solar also runs the house) and excess he sells to the grid

At night the mains will top up the battery to full (if you want it to do that, you can configure on the app)

Note you need to change your plan with you electricity provider to low night rate/high day rate to make the most of this.

He's gotten heat pumps now and removed the Gas

Still has to pay standing charge, but he electricity bills have dropped to like €20 per month. Installation cost and parts were very expensive though

If you're young and plan to stay in that house, do it. If you older or and planning on moving don't.

Advertisement