Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I’m terrible at my job and need a change

Options
  • 07-08-2024 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi folks,

First time poster here!

I’m in my late 20s Business grad and I have previously worked in Supply Chain and currently work as a Planner for a Construction company. So a relatively good job, but I just feel like a square peg trying to squeeze into a round hole.

I’m just a terrible fit, I thought it would be further removed from my old Supply Chain analyst role but it’s not. I’m 9 months in and it’s a struggle for me - I constantly make mistakes.

I don’t want a job that’ll have me entirely stuck behind a desk. I like working with others, I like the idea of starting my own Business but I’ve zero experience in doing so and no marketable skills.

I know an obvious change would be go learn a trade but having seen the industry from this side I don’t think an apprenticeship would be for me.

I’m tempted by Sales - like the idea of being able to earn a lot based on effort and ability, but in the same breath I’m not sure how well suited I would be to it! I’m somewhat socially anxious and probably not the typical charismatic salesman type, I know it’s far more varied than that but at a surface level I’m not sure how good of a fit I’d be.

Beyond that I just don’t know. Maybe I should go back to retail and work my way up to management and one day open my own petrol station. I enjoyed it back in college having stayed in the same spot for 3 + years but that may be more to do with the lack of responsibility and being surrounded by friends!

Maybe I should become a bus driver and eventually start my own transport company, or truck driver?
    What else is out there? I feel most of my options are going to be fair limited in pay/progression unless I manage to make a go of self employment, with the exception of Sales.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lonesome Rhodes

So you get well paid despite making lots of mistakes, it's in a nice warm office behind a desk, you admit it's a good job, you are there 9 months so past probation and you want to leave?

Why? Tough it out for bit and see how it goes it seems cushy to be honest.

The alternatives you mention.

Trade? 4 years on peanuts to then be working on building sites always under pressure and always busy. Years before you can go out on your own as you need to build up your name and finances.

Sales? Non stop pressure to sell sell sell sell sell sell and then sell some more, it's relentless.

Bus driver? You'd be taking a huge pay cut to sit in traffic and ferry the public about whom are often irritable and argumentative for the stupidest of things

Start your own transport company? Have you half a million at least to spare? Trucks/Warehouses/staff/insurance/ etc etc it all adds up to hundreds of thousands before you even have made a single cent.

You seem to be stuck in the 'grass is always greener' mode. It ain't.

Give your current job at least another 6 months. If you pack it in there is a very high likelyhood you would be taking a huge pay cut to do something you may not even like anymore than what you are currently at.

Take the money and run; nobody is 100% stimulated and excited in their job, boredom, making mistakes etc comes with the territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Do a lot of research, training, some side hustles, self marketing on YouTube, Toastmasters, etc etc etc to get your feet wet before you leave that day job. Maybe you can even move roles in your current company risk free. If you have no kids or responsibilities then you obviously have some more freedom. But it sounds like you really ding know what you want to do. Get a good career coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If you are terrible at your job, you could always try becoming a manager.

/runs away

Advertisement