Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A shocking rise in acts of public self-abuse in New York.

• 07-08-2024 2:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭

There has been a shocking rise in the number of reported incidents of public masturbation in New York. An increase of over 50% in the number of cases of people witnessing a lad beating himself like it owes him money is some spike. Any idea what might be causing this? Drugs, mental illness, just the same sort of people who listen to music out loud on the train? Call me old-fashioned, but trying to pull the skeleton out of yourself is an activity best carried out at home and alone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Maybe all the hookers are on their Summer holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭Allinall

Phototographer needs to use a telescopic lense.

Can't see a thing from that picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,719 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Is much as I got a laugh at the use of "self abuse" I think you should have went with the traditional Irish "interfering with one's self"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Probably just another manifestation of the opiod crisis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Has to be related to drug use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭nachouser

The Big Fapple.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Misunderstanding of the harlem shake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Grand Central W@nk-Station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Surely even someone off their face on drugs would realise you don’t “rough up the suspect” in public?

• Site Banned Posts: 12 Lonesome Rhodes

I never understood public masturbation until I worked with a woman years ago who had personality disorders and anxiety disorders. She use to touch herself in the disabled toilet of the company I found out walking past the disabled toilet one day as she had left the door ajar (more than once) She didn't panic just kept going and kicked the door over that particular day.

She had no filter at all so she later approached me and explained to me about her personality disorder and her anxiety disorder and that her anxiety gets incredibly overwhelming to such a degree she either has to self harm or masturbate to relieve the unbelievable tension or anxiety. One or the other. She told me well the masturbation is the lesser of two evils and she didn't want to cut or pinch herself anymore so had no choice but to masturbate. I told her I didn't really care it was none of my business but I knew what she meant when I seen her arms one day. She use to always wear long sleeve tops and on the very rare occasion they were rolled up you could see her arms were cut to ribbons with self harm. Hundreds of scars on both arms. She was a nice attractive person but very tormented mentally and I could see why and how she needed to release that stress somehow or other, but it made me think there is several reasons people do such bizarre things. I know people make light of those masturbating but some people do it in the case above to relieve unbearable stress; not all of them are 'perverts' as such. The human mind comes up with all sorts of strange and bizarre ways of dealing with things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Wasn't there a thread here a while back about having a **** at work? Maybe that's what these guys are up to on their lunch break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

God damn portal again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

All this "self abuse" will lead to a boom time for opticians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,719 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Maybe it's traffic wardens or street cleaners having a **** in their workplace 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They shouldn't make such a big deal of a cheeky goon.

The heat can make people crazy y'know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

New York minute has a new meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Oh dear. Multiple pds and anxiety disorders at the same time. What a time to be alive

• Site Banned Posts: 12 Lonesome Rhodes

More common than you think. Personality disorder people seem to be very unwell mentally but also intelligent and into their appearance so 99% of people don't see the dysfunction until they know them.

My point being people who masturbate in public or in toilets is more complicated than people think. The kneejerk reaction is they are all perverts or weirdos but alot of these people have severe mental illnesses they suffer terribly from. It's anything but a laugh and joke to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,257 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

When I read it I automatically thought of the priests who taught us in school and used that phrase. I'm pretty certain it's only ever used by priests in ireland :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I assume they've ruled out it just being one individual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Deregos.

I blame the athletes running around in their skimpy Olympic costumes.

Why wont GAA football fans these days admit Die Hard 5 is muck?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

378 complaints in six months, that's more than twice a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,378 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I’m quite tired of people excusing their behaviour with disorders. It will drive certain behaviours (for example risk taking) but the person you describe sounds like an absolute attention seeker who hopefully got fired.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I bet this is tik tok trend or some reddit or 4chan thread. Probably a small group of people trying to do the last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭SeanW

I'm not surprised. New York has an extreme "soft on crime" approach to the point where its shops are being shoplifted to extinction, and muggings are commonplace again.

It Begins... Migrant Thieves Raid NYC Warehouse (youtube.com)

As long as a criminal isn't actively murdering someone, they can basically do whatever they want. Even then, the victim might be in more trouble than the attacker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

I imagine it's linked to drug abuse, although some of it may be individuals like Wayne Couzens who get a thrill out of it. On the drug abuse angle it's actually scary watching docs on the homeless populations in San Francisco etc. how erratic and dangerous a large population of the homeless population are in large part due to the effects of drug abuse. Of course other homeless people and people living in those neighbourhoods bear the brunt of this. I honestly think mental illness due to drug abuse is going to be major issue in the future. The journal.ie had a pretty good article about the risks of marijuana recently. https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/dr-chris-luke-cannabis-6453896-Aug2024/

Advertisement