Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Septic tanks per sq. m

• 07-08-2024 5:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭

I currently live in a bungalow in Co. Wexford that is sitting on 3/4 of an acre. We are considering applying for planning permission to build another house at the very back of our garden with the intention of selling a chunk of land with the new dwelling on it.

My question is, obviously we would need two septic tanks, but would we be granted planning permission based on the amount of land we have?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

you need to engage an architect/engineer. that isnt really enough info to advise for now either unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Your current bungalow likely included the entire 3/4 as the site for that house when applying for planning.

If that is the case, you don't really have another site to build on.

It is still an outside possibility though if the layout of the land is such that you can manage to comfortably fit 2 septic tanks and percolation systems together with the second house. You would be looking at retention permission for the existing on a reduced site with all access and systems within that reduced site. Planning then for new build on the remaining area.

At 3/4 of an acre total, I'd say very unlikely you would get another house. In my county, 0.5 acre is the minimum per house.

If the originally house was built pre 1964 and never had planning, you may have more room to play with and would be worth a look.

You also then have to deal with the whole housing need problem and if you had a strong enough argument for needing a 2nd house, depending on where you are located, you would likely get an occupancy clause to prevent being built for sale.

In short, it would be difficult or unlikely to be a runner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Appreciate that lads. Cheers!

Advertisement