Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can you drive a car with no insurance if you have your own insurance with multi-car option?

• 07-08-2024 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Warbeastrior

Its to get an old car down to a NCT centre etc before selling.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭mulbot

My insurance allows this, check though because on mine it states, as long as not owned by me, leased or hired under a HP or lease agreement to me, or as long as I'm not using it through a business. Other than that, I'd say you're ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

My insurance permits me to drive another car, as long as it doesnt belong to me, nor on hire to me. However the small print states that the actual owner of the car must have it insured themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭JVince

Some do, some don't. So best to check the policy terms and conditions which would have been sent with the certificate.

Any policy I have ever seen states the car has to have insurance on it in someone else name.

Reason being if you wanted a second car and didn't want to pay insurance you could just put it in a relatives name and drive it every day on your existing cars policy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭creedp

Mines's the same. I've heard that some insurance companies allow this so long as you or spouse don't own the car but any company I checked with advised car would have to be covered by another policy.

• Advertisement

I'm with Zurich, no problem with the other cars not being insured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭mk7r

I have only ever known 2 companies to do this, it's extremely rare

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Just assume that you cant. I asked my insurance company the same question a few years ago for the same reason and they replied that I could, however my next insurance quote doubled. They dont want to take a risk on people that might do that.

If it's written on the policy then they allow for that,or at least who I'm with, Zurich, and AXA not sure bout other companies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Sono

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭kirving

It can depend, even within Comprehensive polices within the same company. I specifically wanted "driving other cars fully comprehensive" which my insurer didn't offer as a general policy, so they put me (as a regular customer) onto some kind of trade policy so I had fully comp on any car I didn't own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If you are not legitimately in the motor trade, taking out such a policy could land you in a heap of bother

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Nux_BlackThumb

Did exactly that for years as my policy stated I could drive other cars once "in a roadworthy condition", it wasn't illegal and nobody died - although to be fair it wasn't just a second car, it was 2 of them. I already had paid for: Car insurance for main car, van insurance, classic car insurance, camper insurance and motorbike insurance. I couldn't add more cars to my main policy, they weren't old enough to add to the classic policy, I could have taken out separate policies on both of them but would not have been able to apply NCD to them.

Insurance here is a disgraceful setup, insure the damn driver already ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭csirl

Most insurance companies will allow you to temporarily substitute a car for a day or two if you contact them in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Ronney

All Insurance Policies in Ireland have a 14 day cooling off period. You could take out insurance and cancel.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Insurance forum Mods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Hooked

Don't most insurers allow you to transfer to another car, temporarily, once… for free (or charged something like 50 quid)?

I've done this a few times in the past (when buying 2nd hand cars) - claiming that my current car was in a garage for work, etc… and had access to another car for a few days, to allow me to drive the uninsured car home.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Warbeastrior

Thanks all for the info. Much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭kirving

I don't know that it was a "trade" policy as such, but it was certainly some type of policy that wasn't offered to regular customers, and was only because I pushed them on driving other cars fully comp.

It was 100% above board, I didn't have to have a business, VAT number, or anything like that at all. I'll dig out the policy when I'm home, but would have been Zurich, AXA, or RSA.

Advertisement