Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice public service local authority or civil service.

• 07-08-2024 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all. I am totally burnt out in my current job ive been there 9 years and it is very challenging. Im low level management. I have 15 years post qualification experience. BA MA and so much CPD. I have applied for the EO role in the civil service and for staff officer in a number of local authorities as im on the border of a few counties. Im panicked now because im worried that staff officer will be too much responsibility and i really need a break from responsibility. I should have went for recent assistant staff officer posts and i didnt. I should say im on two local authority panels placed quite high for other roles with quite a long time and nothing has come through. Would anyone be able to advise me on a pathway as im a bit clueless having worked in private sector for so long. If i contacted my local authority re the missed assistant staff officer competition would they allow me to send a late application or is that a non runner. Is there anyone with any advice for me on how i should proceed in my job search is local authority a better option to civil service or any wisdom. Thank you so much for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭Caoimhe2

HI unfortunately its too late to apply for assistant Staff Officer. You could always wait for your number on the panel to be reached and try the role you might be surprised. I did assistant Staff Officer in the HSE and EO in the Civil Service these roles salary wise are nearly the same the 2 roles were completely different with regards role and duties and responsibilities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Staff officer is generally not a hugely challenging role. You should have good oversight from your line manager. It’s very manageable usually.

Most roles in the LA up to and including administrative officer are fine, and they are as stressful as you want to make them.

It’s when you get to SEO and beyond that’s where you are managing big teams and budgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jobhunter2024

Thanks a million to you both for your responses, i feel more reassured. Very helpful.

Advertisement