Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chimney rebuild

• 08-08-2024 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

hi,

I knocking down the chimney due to damp on chimney breast in bedroom. While removing noticed around the chimney pots was installed sand and its all moist. Flashing was perfect,render ok, concrete blocks chimney was buit.(wasn’t any visible big crack or same thing)

My question is what should I install around the pots when new chimney going be built?

I know they installing new days vermiculite but is this keeps my pots in place? My chimney very high 2.5 metres.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭bfclancy2

so what is the root cause for the damp in the bedroom, if the fill is damp then it was either getting in through the render or else most probably down from the top, why are you knocking the whole chimney if you haven't root caused it, after its rebuilt either fill with bags of vermicullite or dry sand, cement lime mix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭monseiur

I would hazard a guess that the dampness is caused by water getting in at the back flashing, that is the lead flashing where the roof tiles meet the chimney (where the bucket is in your last photo) When rebuilding pay particular attention to this - you may have to remove a row or two of tiles to get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Roky2018

flashing was grand, all moist was from middle chimney.render was perfect but inside blocks as you all damp. Chimney cap was good.

just wondering do vermiculite support a bit in place pots? (Like sand do) I be installing chimney tray just to be sure…

lime mix?

For bricks laying : lime, cement, sand 3:1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Advertisement