Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mould resistant paint watery and not strong after 2 coats

• 08-08-2024 10:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭

I have 2 ensuite bathrooms with fixed mould issues, but I have needed to repaint them- in both areas, I stripped back to the plasterboard. I applied Zinsser primer and then 2 coats of Zinsser mould-resistant paint. The latter I found very watery and hard to work with. After 2 coats you can still see the outline of the stripped-off patch on the ceiling which has been painted over and the old paint on the wall (see below). I am not confident a 3rd coat will help. Has anyone had this issue? Is finishing on top now with regular paint a bad idea?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Probably a good idea. I haven't used Zinsser mold-resistant paint before but when I was doing my ensuite ceiling (walls were freshly tiled and no prior mold issues) I had patches of fresh plaster and sections of peeling paint to contend with so somewhat similar to yours. Scraped back the peeling paint sections and applied two coats of Zinsser BIN as the primer and then two coats of Dulux bathroom paint on top. Zinsser is great stuff (expensive mind) as a primer/undercoat but think it requires a different top coat to finish.

That was about 3 years ago now and ceiling still looks as fresh/clean as the day it was painted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Everywhere we used the zinser mould covering paint we gave a lick of proper paint over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,258 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Is the final coat actually dry?

I really noticed with any of the Zinser stuff that it took significantly longer for the top coat(s) to try, so you could always see the patches until everything was dry.

Advertisement