Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payment of expenses

• 08-08-2024 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

hi folks what do you consider to be a fair time frame between a work trip and being paid travel expenses for same?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

30 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd never want it to run beyond the interest free period on a credit card; otherwise you are basically providing your employer with cash flow at your own expense.

Worst I've had was paid mid-month on anything from the previous month, so the longest was ~50 days for something on day 1 of a 31 day month, and the mid-month being a Saturday causing the payment to come on the Tuesday after it.

Everywhere I've worked since has had either weekly or fortnightly runs and the worst is ~20 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

3 weeks after submission I think is fair.

So Submit your July expenses in the first week of August and they are paid by the end of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That brings early month expenses to up to eight weeks for payment, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

Depends on the expenses. If it's flights/accommodations, the employer should either be paying for those themselves up front or giving the employee a company credit card to pay with (and eating any interest and fees themselves if they don't settle the bill on time). Asking employees to foot the bill for those expenses up front is unreasonable. For smaller day to day expenses (food, short taxi rides, public transit tickets, etc.), that would be reasonable enough to reimburse those after the fact, but it should happen by the next pay date after they were submitted to the employer at the very latest, unless that pay date is so close that it would be impossible to process them in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Business credit cards usually require monthly bills to be settled in full by direct debit so no interest & fees apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭chrisd2019

Usually companies like to work on monthly accounts, so to be reimbursed monthly would be normal, assuming all required information is submitted with the claim,

Advertisement