Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islamists planning terror attack at Taylor Swift Concert force cancellation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I doubt it was a particular hatred of Taylor Swift, her music or her fans that drove these 2 to do what they did/were going to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Probably a bad idea for Isis to go after another group of radicals: Swifties.

In all seriousness though, great it was stopped before it could happen. I do wonder if it was targeted because of the fame and success of Taylor Swift (an attack at her concert would get worldwide attention) or any band who happened to be playing around that time

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Just a chance to commit mass murder in a large gathering, could have been a big football game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Be right back

Not forgetting that the three little girls murdered last week were at a Taylor Swift dance class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Like her or not, she is one of the most famous people on the planet.

A terrorist attack at her concert gets the world talking about it.

You could see why they would target her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

The fact it was Taylor swift gigs that were threatened doesn't matter. It could've been anyone playing there and it would have been planned like the Manchester bombings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Just to point out that the Manchester bombings targeted a concert by another famous female artist, Ariana Grande.

I think that's quite likely not a coincidence. Even though one of the first such attacks, the Bataclan, was an attack on a male group, I think this has developed since then into a movement that tends to target women as much as possible.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

So if U2 were playing there they wouldn't have planned to bomb it because they're male That's a bit of a stretch. All that matters is the authorities prevented a catastrophic event and they should be applauded for that. The sex of the artist is irrelevant IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭thegame983

Just part and parcel of living in a big city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Whilst the UK government and law enforcement is openly allowing criminality among young Muslim men (cf Birmingham), overlooked industrial levels of child sex abuse for fear of being seen as racist (cf ad nauseaum) and are now singling out Islam as needing £117m in funding to protect them from valid criticism (by labelling it "Islamophobia") and giving mosques their own rapid response police force - and to hell with churches, temples, synagogues and wee kids' dance classes……

I'm guessing many, sadly. Great work on those preventing these attacks and gutted for the kids who had their experience they were looking forward to cancelled. Let's hope it's rescheduled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

If you think that Islam will ever reform, I have a beachside condo to sell you in Arizona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

How many attacks have we not heard about is probably something not considered.

Although maybe I am watching too much American crime series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭SNNUS

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

It simply can't be reformed because there is no Institutional Hierarchy to lead it to do so. There is no equivalent to the Pope or Papal Council that issues writs, bulls, or documentation to guide the Imams or Muftis.

The Quran is the final, immutable word of God. That's the basis of Islam, and it is not going to change for Western sensibilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭downtheroad

U2 know "how to dismantle an atomic bomb" so no point targeting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I just read that article- in terms of what this “person” intended to do there would have been absolutely no way to prevent him from carrying out his actions.

He planned to use a car and plough into a crowd

He planned to detonate a bomb killing himself and those around him, as they were gathering towards the concert.

So vetting staff whilst not pointless wouldn’t necessarily have shown up anything as whilst one of the suspects did get a job at the stadium the other was planning an attack outside- assuming both don’t have criminal convictions nothing would show up in general unless they’re on a watch list.

Traffic restrictions would have prevented him getting close to the stadium -but he’d still have access to large crowds walking towards the stadium

An incredible bit of policing - however the pr1ck organisation behind this will learn from it unfortunately - whatever mistakes were made this time will unlikely happen the next.

It’s frightening stuff - the irony is that the crowd at a Taylor Swift concert are probably THE most innocent of all concert going attendees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,164 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's a massive leap if ever I saw one.

Even by your own admission, the Bataclan show was for The Eagles of Death Metal, an all male band.

Not sure if you remember but there was also an Islamic Terrorist attack at a concert in Russia back in March of this very year, 140 people were killed.

The band meant to perform were called Piknik, all guys.

Taylor Swift is one of the most popular artists currently on earth. It's logical to think that was the reason for it. Anything beyond that bringing gender into it is absolutely wild speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Sharia law does a good job of killing Muslims as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

We can't be doing that now, especially as we have to deal with the real threat to Europe. All the home grown Far Right.

Glad the authorities were able to stop the scum bag, and no one was hurt. Seeing as Taylor Swift has a very large appeal with young girls, we can safely say the audience would have been predominantly young girls… which seem to be a very common target for those who follow a certain radical faith.

Clever word play may win debates, but it doesn't make it true.

Just ignore how badly females are treated in Islamic countries, and how the Grooming gangs we have seen recently have all been Muslim men targeting females and the like.

Just ignore all that as well.

Yes terrorists will want to cause terror and strike the population at large, but followers of this radical faith have a long proven history of deep misogyny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

not to go off topic but
    Did you send that complaint letter to Germany who supplies a third of Israeli arms, or does the left wing only reserve scorn for US? While continuing to defend cultures who want to destroy us (thread subject) and kill innocents

I for one don’t want to live in the Middle Ages where all the women in my life are treated worse than animals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,164 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What in god's name has that got to do with the purpose behind the attack on a Taylor Swift concert? That's all my post was discussing.

Talk about shoehorning in a sprinkling of anti Islamic whataboutery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Augme

Since when are Germany not considered in the west?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

The home office did a report on grooming gangs in the uk.

They found most perpetrators were white. They also found that while some studies indicated an over representation of Black and Asian offenders, there overall finding was, 'it is likely that no one community or culture is uniquely predisposed to offending'.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-65174096

A religious faith that kills women for not wearing their head scarf correctly.

Why are you so obtuse to how vehemently Islam is aggressive towards females. It isn't shoehorning anything. One of the reoccurring trends we see in Islamic culture is very poor treatment of females, that the more radical lot target young girls in the West should come as no surprise to anyone.

For the life of me, I just do not understand how anyone can be so ignorant to the obvious.

Anti-Islam, why yes... I am against Misogyny, Homophobia, and Xenophobia. Things that sadly are all part and parcel with the Islamic culture, I am not willing to tolerate those who are Intolerant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Vienna does have a lot of problems with the lack of integration of foreigners, especially with a muslim background. There were recent gang wars of immigrant groups, shootings and stabbings. The situation with the Taylor Swift concert doesn't surprise me at all. Police in Vienna seems surprisingly effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭eggy81

Kudos on getting the swift gig cancelled, but I still don’t think we should use this act to just assume that all Muslims are good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement