Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islamists planning terror attack at Taylor Swift Concert force cancellation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

And the west has moved on from that, only to import a more radical and dangerous ideology. You really couldn't make this up, one step forward, 2 steps back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,665 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

do a bit of research, it’s a commonly held opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭AyeGer

How does this benefit the radical islamists. It just makes people hate them. I don’t know what they think they would achieve by attacking a concert full of young people, mainly young women and children.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,830 ✭✭✭buried

This is fascinating. All summer the neo-liberal's in Ireland were showcasing how great it was Taylor Swift was playing in Croke park/Aviva/Dublin, and now 2 cowardly Islamist scumbag's potentially tried to murder hundreds of innocent Taylor Swift fans over in Austria, and the neo-liberals up in here are trying to excuse the potential murder of the same Taylor Swift fans, and not only that, they are somehow trying to blame "the wesht". Whats next, Dogs and Cats living together?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭suvigirl

It appears there are some commonly held opinions, in this very thread, that are complete xenophobic, islamophobic nonsense. People hold all sorts of opinions, doesn't mean they're right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,957 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They don't care of they are hated, loved or appreciated. That's nothing to do with it.

The accelerant nature of it though, that suits their aims

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I think what's worth noting when it comes to Islamic terrorist groups is just how well financed they've been, especially over the last forty years or so.

What a lot of younger contributors might not be aware of is how much funding and weaponry the US put towards Mujahedeen groups, and even schools teaching the most radical strains of islamic ideology, in the 70's and 80's, using them to fight a proxy war in Afghanistan.

These fundings have since been continued by the oil rich Arab states, whom we continue to trade with fully in this knowledge.

So in terms of global reach and scale, and leaving aside the injustices many feel in the Arab world around various military interventions by western states, it's simply not comparing like with like to put islamic extremism in comparison to other forms of extremism, when one is so vastly better funded.

I think I must have missed something, was somebody portraying Taylor Swift playing Croke Park as some sort of victory for neoliberalism?

I try to keep up with the news but that may have slipped by me.

Islamic extremists, I'd say they think they're taking the fight to the enemy.

If only we could get it through to them that we're not all evil bogeymen.

No islamophobic rants on this thread I see…...

• Advertisement

But we are not. I've never done anything to anybody over in the middle east. I'd wager you haven't either. So why "take the fight to us" or our innocent children going to see Taylor Swifht. I even protested the invasion of Iraq back in the early 2000's. Nobody in the establishment here listened to me about that. The islamist supporters should take the fight to real enemy they are cribbing about every day. They all seem to want the destruction of Israel. Sure why don't they go off over there and do it? No point doing it here, none of our politicians listen to anybody anyways, that's abundantly clear. So why blame me or my kids or anybody like me?

When i see that word mentioned I instantly think of this.

Hitchens quote

"Islamophobia word created by fascists, and used by cowards, to manipulate morons.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Islam did reform and I won't mention what the Sunnis think of those who did.

But you're not suggesting we don't except people who don't behave, you're suggesting that we ban everyone because of their religion. You do know what that is right? Suppose you would have been happy if Irish people were banned from other countries for 40 years?

Your other questions are off topic, but I'll spell this out nice and easy for you, anyone who breaks the law, should be dealt with by the criminal justice system. Anyone, regardless of nationality, ethnicity, religion or any other rubbish. I would imagine it's the same as most people's opinion, but thanks for being so interested in mine.

IMO if you don't have a phobia of a religion like Islam there's something disturbing about that. It's pure hate speech. Likewise for Christianity and Judaism. There's a lot of good thrown in but the bad stuff is inexcusable. Imo Islam is the worse of the three.

If it didn't exist and somebody wrote the Quaran today the writer would be arrested for hate speech amongst other things.

Brilliant. What do you instantly think of when you hear the word xenophobic

I don't have a phobia of any religion, that's just weird. Neither am I religious. It's all a.load of sh1te to me. But I respect people's rights to practise their religion and I'm not ignorant enough to believe that every Islamic person is.the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭NiceFella

You know we've had extremists in every guise, Christians, atheists etc. Islam is a religion of about a billion people. An extremely large majority of which are peaceful. I do think the religion needs to be reformed but it might be hard to do that when we've such poor relations with Islamic countries.

Constructive criticism is not a phobia, quit throwing around buzzwords.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭susan678

The record is broken sister.

Europe has borders and is under no obligation to accept anybody for any reason whatsoever.

Terrorists enter and take advantage of our Christian charitable nature.

I take it suvigirl you have no problem with sexism when it targets while men like my hubby who is telling me to go to sleep?

• Advertisement

It will be hard to do it alright when subsections of them are killing each other over what they can't even sort out themselves. Look, this has literally nothing to do with us over in the farthest flung islands of Northern Europe. If the islamists have a gripe about their own countries, they should take it to the immediate cause of their concern, their own regimes in their own nations and their own indigenous geographical location. If they think any power source over here is going to do anything for them, they haven't been paying attention, because they won't, which will enrage them even further.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,945 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Edit, just noticed threadban after I posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Try and go to Saudi and express your views and see how long that lasts on an internet forum ! you don't get stoned for your opinion here only banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,187 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c1k37dm9e0eo

They also revealed that the main suspect - an Austrian citizen who was born there but who had North Macedonian parents - had recently changed his appearance and "adapted it to Islamic State propaganda", and had been consuming and sharing Islamist propaganda online.

A second suspect - a 17-year-old Austrian of Turkish or Croatian heritage - was employed at a company which would have "provided services" at the stadium where Swift was to perform.

A 15-year-old suspect has so far refused to talk to the authorities, and was "in the area" of the stadium when he was arrested.

Officials added that they were not looking for any other suspects.

Swift is set to head to London to perform five shows at Wembley Stadium next week (she must be nervous for herself, workers and fans etc.,)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

They Hate you and your way of life. Its not about love for the cause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭rogber

The problem, as always, is young men. All the violent ones should be locked up until they are at least 40 and let the rest of us live in peace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭AyeGer

This is something that open border advocates don’t grasp. Islam is inherently homophobic and transphobic to a more extreme degree than your average right winger here.

But it’s more likely a native European will be accused of being prejudiced than any other group. Including of course accusations of Islamophobia and racism.

We don’t really have Muslim neighbourhoods in Ireland yet, but they do in France, England, Sweden, Germany etc. Imagine a gay couple or a trans person moving into one of those neighbourhoods. I don’t think they’d be accepted well. This is only going to become more of a problem as the decades pass by and our Muslim population increases.

It’s just something to consider for the more optimistic open border advocates. Those of us with concerns about the current levels of immigration may not be 100% right but we aren’t 100% wrong either. We need serious discussion on these matters at the highest level in this country and the EU.

• Advertisement

Saudi is a strict Islamic State, we all know that. I have been there. What's your point?

Advertisement