Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2nd hand ev

• 08-08-2024 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Just landed a new job 18kms from home each way. Used to be 75 kms each way and have a diesel. Seriously considering buying a 2021 VW Id3 with low mileage.

8 year warranty on battery 160k kms

Just don't want to spend loads of money on maintenance on the diesel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Would be ideal for an EV, but with such a short commute, practically any decent EV would serve you for many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭ferg01

having owned and sold a Model 3 I’m biased (brother has an ID3) I’d definitely for for an EV but would see if I could get a Tesla with LfP battery. Although I sold mine, I way preferred the Tesla spec / interior to the VW. Depends on personal preferences obviously but I’d drive both before committing if they’re both an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,327 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't want to spend loads of money on maintenance but willing to spend loads of money on a new car? Depreciation will cost you more money than maintenance.

Why not just keep what you have? Is there something wrong with it now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Luna84

He may fancy a change.

I get that but in his last sentence he states just not wanting to spend loads of money on maintenance on a diesel which to me seems to be the main reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Declan1965

Not a new car read my original post I said 2021 or 22 id3 at around 23k

I did read your post. New or newer my point about depreciation outweighing maintenance costs still stands.

If you just want a newer car then grand go for it.

Depreciation is valid for all cars, spend 40k on a new diesel and it's worth 33 k next year. I can pick up a 2021 low mileage Id3 for21k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Firblog

What other use will you have apart from commute? if only the commute and short local journeys, you couldn't go wrong with a cheap early leaf - no risk of depreciation with one of those 😉

Just to and from work 200kms per week and shopping 50kms per week odd trip down home wexford that's all

• Advertisement

I don't want to drag this down a rabbit hole but your thinking of spending 21k now. Would your current car cost 21k in maintenance over the next number of years? Again if you really just want a change then go for it, nothing wrong with wanting a newer car but not for the reason you originally mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭User1998

What car are you currently driving? And what year is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭kirving

I'd take the other view - that you're not actually doing enough milage to justify an EV.

2nd hand EV's, are still an unknown quantity depreciation wise I think - if of course monetary saving is your #1 goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭rowantree18

Maybe consider doing nothing just at the moment, see how you get on in the new job, do you like it/want to stay/they give you a permanent or longer contract etc. Then when you're sure, make a decision on the car. I changed jobs a few years ago to one 20 minutes away as opposed to 50 minutes but didn't end up staying as the timetable didn't suit. Glad I held onto my diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

See it all the time with posters that just want a new car trying to justify it by doing some loose maths..…can people just not say they want a new car and fancy a change!!

I went to 2 EVs costing 80k between them from 1 diesel and 1 phev with combined value of about 45k.....saved money I definitely haven't!

To the OP, if money savings are your real driver here, you would have been far better off when you had 4 times the commute you have now by going EV. Your savings are minimal enough now on fuel.

If your cost to change from your diesel is high, you'll likely lose out overall.

If you just fancy a change, then say so. ID3 is a solid option but there are others too

Skoda octavia 2015 diesel

That's great advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'd buy a 24kwh leaf for 2-4k. Do that trip easily each way for years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭goochy

when you fancy a change - you just fancy a change - no point people saying you will save money with current car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

You're in the wrong section.

Thread needs to be over on the EV forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Buying a newer car will almost always cost more than maintaining the current car. Those low priced ID.3s also have low trade-in offers, be prepared to be offered feck all for your current car. You'll need to sell privately to see any decent money.

Now if you just fancy a new car, then I'd say go for it. EVs are lovely to drive, nice and quiet when sitting in traffic and nice power for a bit of fun. Coming from a 2015 Octavia you'd probably be looking at nicer spec in the ID.3.

Doing 1,000km per month I went from spending €100-120 on petrol to €25-30 on electricity. Tax went from €190 to €120. The ID.3 is only serviced every 2 years so you'll save every second year as there's no "major" service of filters, plugs etc. Something people often leave out is tyre costs, you're looking at €150+ per tyre as the sizes aren't as common as something you'd see on an Octavia and the car is 400kg heavier so a bit harder on tyres. Doing low enough mileage you won't be changing tyres often just something to keep in mind.

If you hold onto the car, lower mileage might cause issues with DPF/EGR but unless the car is troublesome I wouldn't be too concerned about maintenance costs.

Advertisement