Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Insurance Contents Valuation : Loss Assessor practices ?

• 09-08-2024 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I am renewing my house insurance and adjusting my house contents value.

I have listed every room in the house and tried to add up a value of all furniture, pictures on walls, lamps and any notable appliances (eg TVs, computer, printer etc ) . I now have a value that I am considering using for my insurance valuation.

Could anyone advise what valuation processes are used by loss assessors ( specifically those working with Liberty) to inform my decision. Is it like car insurance where it doesnt matter what value you insured the assessor will set some independent value and if that is the case what basis do they use ( eg X value / per room type ) . Will my inventory assist a loss assessment in the event of a major claim (and will I need supporting info such as photos/video for items that are not listed as major items ( ie <Eur3000) ?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Most policies are on a 'new for old' basis. This means that in the event of a loss, you will be compensated to replace your contents with brand new (to as close as possible to the same specification). For this reason, you need to have a sum insured which reflects the current new replacement costs. There are exceptions to this and they are items which are deemed to have a depreciating limited life, such as clothes, floor coverings, bed linen etc. The iinventory will be helpful to the assessor to establish what you have lost, but you need to adjust it for today's

Advertisement