Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying from garage and insurance

• 09-08-2024 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been asked many times but I couldn't find the exact answer...

So I have my eye on a car and am planning on heading over Monday to test drive etc. all going well I'll buy so..how do I get insured?

Do I just phone insurance company while I'm in garage after buying, can It be sorted out that quick? I feel I'm missing something obvious here.. anyway, thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Nice one, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭sham58107

Is that not if OP already has policy , getting a new policy set up in 10 mins is not real, needs NCB proof of driving , license, not something can be done on garage forecourt.

If new policy ( you have no insurance at present ) then you need to get car details and get quotes , if you are just transferring cover for one car to another, then just call insurance company with new car details .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,327 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't assume you would be collecting the car the same day you buy it. Many garages might need to put the car through the NCT and only arrange it once it's sold. You might also spot some cosmetic things that need sorting by the dealer. Very unlikely the dealer will sort them on the same day.

Insurance can be sorted on the day your picking it up, just go online or phone with the car's reg and take out a policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭User1998

You have two weeks to submit all those documents. A new policy can be taken out within 10 minutes online. But like Bazz says the garage may need to prep the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,491 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It's easy to take out a policy but worthwhile to some research first on price and what the policy covers. It's not like buying an air freshener where a couple of euro doesn't matter there can be massive differences in costs.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Thanks all

Advertisement