Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Fibre in but have External Wall Insulation, help?

• 09-08-2024 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm getting some fibre put into the home but the lads from Eir won't install it for me because of External Wall Insulation or something to that effect. Anyone have a similar situation before and offer any solutions? Been using the 3 5G internet and it's abysmal around here. Cheers!

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭newirishman

Had the same problem previsouly.

Adding my own request here as it is similar: I have external insulation but have now identified a suitable way to go through the wall. So want/need to run about 10 meters of 20mm conduit from the fibre 'landing' location (a place on the external wall where a satellite dish was mounted and I have a 'hook' to fix the the cable from the pole) to the point where I can go into the house.

The conduit goes around a few corners. I'll add a cable fishing rope. So essentially all I need is for that fibre cable engineer to work with me to fish the fibre all the way into the house.

2 questions: 1) are they likely to entertain that and 2) anyone knows what bending radius that fibre cable coming from the pole has?

Don't really care if I have to pay a little extra for the hassle / cable length.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Virgin Media no bother. You need to tell in advance. They have a 2 man crew that are trained to drill through EWI. They put a gromit through the whole and cable inside that and use a certain type sealant so the cable and sealant don't touch or react with the insulation.

Most people would recommend avoiding Eir for any service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TheWallGuy

Ah thanks, I'll give 'em a go and get back on if I get positive results. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 Djcon

I have been reluctant to get ftth because of external wall insulation. Vodafone and sky door to door salesmen told me they found a way to do it without drilling through the insulationby going through air vents. One sky rep even "made a quick call to his supervisor to confirm"(I'm not sure there was anyone on the other end!) I am currently on virgin media cable and got a letter to say they are running fibre alongside the existing cables in the estate in the coming days. so we will see how that goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2 Ion_soho

The best way to get a new cable into the house through the external insulated wall is to build containment (route with 20mm plastic round pipe) for cable to be secured in from ETU or place where cable will come to the house. You can do it by yourself or hire a professional (like me) to do this work and we can even leave cable in the containment for installer to use it

• Advertisement
Advertisement