Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doesn't Boards have a policy about hate speech?

• 10-08-2024 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭

This gem was posted recently in the "Threats from the right" thread:

I can't think of such a blatant example of antisemitism on boards. Yet, the user is still in the thread.

Then, when someone replies to this user, we see this:

Attacking this kind of post is like getting into mud with pigs, the pig'll enjoy it and you'll get filthy. Seems like the mods are dropping the ball here big time and this user should be threadbanned. Apparently it's a Holocaust denier as well.

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,056 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Ah sure look, I made a general comment about a thread with xenophobic and racist posts (not specifically about one post or poster) & I was warned about backseat modding.

So, presumably they want us to report everything and then wait ages for anyone to do anything, because there aren't enough mods. And also, who knows if you did report a post, if anything was done or not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,459 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Don't feed the trolls..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Shoog

Yes, but was he reported. I didn't even though I was in that discussion.

The only way he would ever be banned is if one of us reported him.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Luna84

Are you in love with a jew or something you seem really transfixed on antisemites as you call it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Luna84

If you are really worried about hate speech go into the Russian thread. There was a tonne of hate speech in that thread against Russians like really bad so why do jews get special treatment and that's the same in real life not just on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

If a troll can amass over 6,000 posts then that's indicative of a massive issue with the site in its own right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭nachouser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Shoog

I should have reported it, but I tend to reserve reports for personal abuse and obvious re-reg trolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

To be fair I don't really post in the political threads but the mods must be overloaded with reports. The CA forum is a cesspool. The mods and admins but be burnt out.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,962 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I cannot find any report about the post in question

It is also the case that we may take some time to get to reports. I have been offsite for long periods over the past month or so, and have been looking back and picking up on some reports that have been missed. However my priority has been dealing with more recent reports. In one case I spent 4 hours solid just dealing with 100+ reports. I regularly find myself doing 2-3 hour "shifts" dealing with 50+ reports. I tend to give up in the early hours and do not get back until the following or subsequent evenings. I know there are a couple more active mods in CA, but we all have real lives as well. If people think something may have been missed please drop a mod a PM rather that heading over here or into Feedback to publicise their specific concerns. If that does not work try a CMod. Only once you have gone through that process and not received a satisfactory response shoudl you look to start a thread here

I have now dealt with the post in question and due to repeated incidents the action has been escalated (in my Admin capacity) to a (non permanent) siteban. Further occurances would be expected to escalate to a permanent siteban

Please read the Site Terms of Use that do set out some of the principles concerning posting of material that may be considered offensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,350 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

@Beasty Is there possibility of glitch in the reporting solution?

Seems hard to reconcile:

"I cannot find any report about the post in question

With comments from posters on the thread that the original post was reported.

Also, it seems strange that a mod actioned igtadose's comment but seemed to pass over the original comment.

Similarly comments on this thread which seem offensive appear to have been passed over without mod action.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm absolutely certain I reported it, and I also reported other posts by the same user in the same vein, if that helps in finding them.

Tbf nothing I posted was actioned. I think Hoop was warned.

The poster has been sitebanned. Job done. Anything else is just wasting more mod time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,813 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I cannot find any report about the post in question

I definitely reported it late Friday night, with text that went something along these lines.

'This poster has been pushing the boundaries for a bit, but this goes too far'.

If you cannot find that report, then Boards needs to confirm if the report system is working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Keeps making threads so gets the credited posts . Complete pvsstake .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭con747

Not if reports aren't being received in mods inboxes or wherever they go, it needs to be found out why multiple posters including an ex mod reported it with no results.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

They're unpaid volunteers. I don't expect anything of them. It really doesn't need to be found out why.

• Advertisement

Neither do I but if the site is to function properly certain things need to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,350 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Something seems to have gone awry in the reporting / mod function if such hate speech was missed, instead a post reacting to it was actioned. And seemingly the reports of original post cant be found.

I think more mod time will be wasted if this scenario repeats.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

After the changeover the report function didn't work for a long time and mods couldn't see reports iirc so lets hope that isn't happening again because a lot of people got away with murder back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I've reported two extremely questionable posts in this very thread and they're still up, in their original form.

The report function definitely seems to be either banjaxed, or simply not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,962 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Apologies - I had looked through threads started for some of you, but not all posts and the reported post had bounced to the top of our RP forum every time it was reported - I was actually working through reports from Friday and Saturday, and the last report was just before 5pm yesterday and I had not got to it in my "general" sweep before I was alerted to this thread

There has also been some issues with the site not promptly updating threads and I do not know if that has affected anything here

On further reviewing some of your reports I have seen at least one more example and will be considering further action based on the totality of the poster's comments in that thread

I am closing this thread now as I do not think analysing one particular user's posts further will add anything. I will though update the thread after my further review

If posters could be patient when reporting it would be appreciated. There remain a lot of recent reports to deal with in CA and I will try and get to them all this evening, but 2 of my grandchildren have taken up most of my time today

2 points to add

1. Based on furtrher reports and looking at the history of this poster they have had many chances but their behaviour has never improved. The ban has been upgraded to permanent
    2. There is a glitch with reported posts. In our Reported Post forum the last report is shown at 6:30pm on Friday but there were 5 further reports that are in the reported post thread itself but not reflected in the position of the thread within the Reported Post forum - this is something that @boards.ie: Mike will need to bring up with Vanilla. In the meantime I will deal with all the reports I can see once I have gone through the "current" backlog in CA, but it may be that some are not showing at all. Hopefully this will be corrected without too much delay

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement