Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigabit eir fibre: too fast to be slowed down?

• 10-08-2024 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

I recently advised a family member to downgrade their new 1 Gb/s eir fiber subscription. They were only getting 360Mb/s peak (it varies from 30 to 350 and that's over WiFi 6 right beside the router which is wired into the eir Sagemcom F3000). In any case even eir say on their site that unless you are a gamer you are unlikely to get any benefit from anything more than the standard 500Mb/s speed.

They went into an eir shop and asked to downgrade and save e10 per month. They were told that it wasn't possible as the fibre that was installed to the home was specially for 1Gb/s.

I'm dying to find out what sort of story eir has concocted (it was installed by Circet) and how this actually works physically because now I have some real doubts about all the physics they told me at Uni. Does anyone know how or why eir would not downgrade a subscription especially within the 14 day cooling off period?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

What they were told in the eir store was a load of b*llocks.

They'd be better off phone eir customer support and asking them to downgrade to the 500MB package but they might not allow that if they are still in contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭RobiePAX

The store agent said nonesense. Or misunderstood your question and may have thought you are asking to be downgraded from Fibre 1GB to Copper (100MB).

Eir fibre is 1GB. They offer to cap speed to 500MB to save money. Used to be also 150MB but that's gone.

The only exception is NBI fibre. My uncle signed up with door to door salesguy. He was told Eir at this time don't have 500MB plan for it.

So yeah try ringing customer care. They should be able to change your plan. The problem is I'm not sure they can do it if you are in contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭FamousBelgian

I knew what the salesperson said was utter rubbish but I was surprised that they could say that and keep their job. As RobiePAX says maybe they thought downgrading meant switching back to DSL so that sort of makes sense to say what he said.

It's proving hard to get through to the right sales folks so we're stuck with 1Gb/s for now. I believe there's a 14 day cooling off period from the start of delivery of the service so it shouldn't be a problem to downgrade.

All that aside the installation guy from Circet was friendly and professional and spent a lot of time sorting out the ducting outside the house to install the fibre. Inside the ONT is where we want it and most of the time the speed and latency is very good.

Advertisement