Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who constantly curse

• 11-08-2024 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I think people who curse constantly would be the sort who'd use the excuse of saying "it's just the way I talk". I tend to be under the impression that it's either a sign of lack of self control, or that the person is trying to be cool.

With people like this there comes the inevitable moment when you'll make a mistake that causes them inconvenience, and when this happens if they start cursing, it can be hard to tell whether it's directed at you… or if it's just them talking to themselves. And if you confront them for cursing at you they've got deniability. The other problem with these people is that when they do actually want to show genuine frustration via expletives (that other people would chose selectively), people don't pick up on it because they're always cursing anyway.

I remember I once worked with a colleague, and one day he said "fcuking c*nt" to himself about a minute after I made a minor mistake. It was the sort of thing he'd say all the time anyway. I didn't say anything but I remember it really hurt me, and for days after I thought about the details of that situation, wondering if it could just have been something else he was complaining about, or would actually say that out loud in my presence.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I swear a lot but it's just a habit. Apparantly profanity can be a be a pain reliever.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisonescalante/2020/05/01/swearing-the-fastest-acting-pain-reliever-of-them-all/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,990 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's disgraceful. It is neither smart not necessary.

I can't stand the fucking cunts who do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Suit of Wolves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭This is it

I swear a little in day to day conversation, but never in work or in front of kids.

I always laugh at parents who curse like a sailor and then scald their kids when they do the same.

Well of course, if there's frustration. But a lot of these people curse when they aren't frustrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Charlo30

I'm my experience most Irish people use the F word like it's a noun. You may be over thinking things a little

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

As wealth increases the tendency to curse decreases. When you are are wealthy to can pay all those little people to do the **** **** jobs for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

There are people who deploy cursing like an art form, it can be a wonderful thing.

There are people for whom it's just habit.

And then there are people who curse because they lack the vocabulary to do much else.

The only time I'm ever really bothered by cursing is when people do it at their very young kids. It makes me both very sad and very angry.

No, some do it more than others. Some have self control in the work environment and in front of kids, and some don't. I'd be less inclined to curse in front of women for example. Also, if I had to pull someone aside and give out to them at work for example, I'd make a point of not cursing in that moment. I've seen people get into trouble for cursing in the wrong way. Some people talk in the exact same manner as they would do on radio or TV… and it doesn't mean they're passive aggressive.

So you can forgot your typical condescending remark of "you're overthinking it".

Post edited by Suit of Wolves on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭wetlandsboy

An ex-girlfriend used to curse frequently. I’m no prude, but I found it to be very coarse - particularly coming from a woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Charlo30

I wasn't trying to be condescending. But I can see how it came across. My apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Surprisingly, studies have shown that well-educated people with a wide range of words at their disposal are better at producing curse words than those with less verbal fluency. This suggests a correlation between language ability and intelligence.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

My father (who couldn't say anything without cursing) once famously admonished my foul teenaged mouth by saying "your f@(&ing language is absolf@!*inglutley f@*#ing atrocious!" 😃 I wonder did he ever stop and ask himself why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,232 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Is there any evidence that putting this language into writing has good medical outcomes? Like it does for speech. Given all the FFS, WTF and ****** we get here, some people must be getting positives out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bluefivetwo23

For me cursing in day to day conversations is completely normal. It might be because of where I grew up but for me swear words are no different than actual words. Of course I wouldn't use them in a customer facing situation or anything like that but I would consider swearing part of my culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Sometimes the C word is just the most appropriate word for some people. It's also Cathartic describing them with the C word. So I think it does have mental health benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭baxterooneydoody

People who curse more have been shown to be more honest and tell less lies than people who don't curse often. Make of that what you will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

James Joyce swore profusely, same for a lot of other literary figures. My logic is, it's expressive language and don't see anything hugely wrong with it. I don't tend to use it to abuse people. Most of my work colleagues tend to swear and we're in pretty respectable roles.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

There’s no finer combination of words than thundering cünt to describe someone you truly hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd drop a few f and c bombs when something annoys me but I'd imagine most Irish people would do the same.

I remember Colin Farrell used to drive the Americans mad cursing in interviews but I'm not sure what his reason for it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

He's still officially referred to as Colin Fụcking Farrell in my house.

In his case I suspect it was a minor habit, played up in a big way to suit his "slightly untamed Irishman" persona. And it worked, so more power to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭greenpilot

A memorable quote from my sister many years ago:

Me: " so, how was the pregnancy?"

Her: "Cnutish"

I love this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Maybe because the cursing prople are being themselves and care little for what others think where as pretentious people who care what others think will not curse and will lie to make themselves look better to others. Bullshit artists.

I prefer real people not fake.

The thread is about people who constantly curse. Their behaviour would lose any effect on those used to their company. Whereas one of your "pretentious" people who went out of character into some profanity, would register more strongly due to its rarity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭Shoog

I read somewhere that people who curse are generally smart. People who are constantly self policing their thoughts and words lack creativity and are repressed in other areas of their life. It goes hand in hand with the proven fact that conservative people have much stronger reactions to images of feces and blood. They need their world to be clean and ordered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I get what you mean but in general irish people swear alot... even some of the celebrities for example Colin Farell curse during interviews.

You can tell if curising is used in a derogatory way towards you pretty easily.

Unless maybe English is not your first language or you grew up in a different culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Theirs 'cursing' and then there's cursing. A lot of Irish people use curse words as adjectives, which makes us sound like a bunch of dockers to countries not used to that. It's not really cursing in the traditional sense however, it's not meant to cause offense or used in a malicious manner. Actually cursing at people or objects, meant to signal disapproval or threaten is probably on a par with other countries. And to be honest I'd rather someone came right out and said something like 'f*ckin b**** to me than some of the passive aggressive faux polite but actually incredibly hostile Karen/Ken type scenarios regularly posted from America. At least there's no denying what the former person intends.

Advertisement