Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room vent: is this normal.

Options
  • 11-08-2024 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I decided to clean behind the room vents and found this one with no hole to the outside like the others.

Should I be worried/annoyed or is this normal?

Thanks

Edit. Photos attached now. The blue one is the ok bathroom one. The other is the brick wall bedroom one. There is a vent grill on the exterior for this one too.

Post edited by DIYyyyyyy at

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,100 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

No photo attached

The room should have a vent to the outside in most homes over 15 years or so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭zg3409

Do the room windows have the option to lock slightly open or do they have they vent strips at the top?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DIYyyyyyy

Photos attached now. The house is 20+ years old.

Yes. The windows have the option to open slightly. No extra vents.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

Doesn’t look like they were done very well I’m afraid. This is one of mine (painter coming tomorrow 😁).

• Advertisement

I did wonder if (on the one that does have a hole) there should be a pipe. When I started vacuuming the cobwebs out fiberglass insulation started coming out too.

Thank you for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

Certainly, I thought a length of 4 inch pipe was commonly used to make the vent. All of mine are done like that. Hard to see how air could circulate freely in the pictures you shared. If you can free up the space there’s nothing to stop you putting a piece in now I think.

I'll do that on the bathroom on 👍.

The other there is no hole through to the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,580 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

There should definitely be a hole in the outer wall, otherwise you're just venting moisture from the room into the insulation

Incidentally, it looks like there might be some mould forming around the vent, those darker patches on the inner surface of the outside wall looks suspicious

My vents are more like the pipe style Magilla shared. The bit of filler around the pipe is good for reducing spider ingress

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Thanks for your comment. I've zoomed in on the image, is this the part you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

I don't know what that is but as above, a four inch pipe cut to size and fill to smooth around the edges. You'll probably have to remove the vent panel on the outside and replace or clean, if you can.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

In older houses (at least anything up to 1990) the vent was just a hole in the plasterboard (with the insulation pushed aside if it was dry lined). There should of course be a pipe.

In this case either the outer hole doesn't exist, or it's misaligned to the inside, a quick look outside the house would confirm.

It's an issue if there is a gas appliance in the room or if the construction assumes air circulation to prevent moisture/mould buildup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

That's the external vent cover in that pic. Just tidy up inside and your all good

• Registered Users Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Thought bathroom vents should be connected to an extractor fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Clean out the inisde and cut some 4inch pipe to go between the inner and outer vents. Slope it outwards so water will run out. You can pack some attic insulation around it to hold it in place.

You should be able to pick up some 4inch pipe in a hardware store or even from a skip

The second picture is of the bathroom vent, the first picture is the room they are asking about (and it seems to be concrete wall).

Usually not if there is a window in the bathroom.

There's a seperate extra fan in the bathroom too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,580 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Oh yeah, it does look like the vent cover

I thought it was the outer wall with a layer of dirt and mould on it

Yeah tidy it up, put in a bit of pipe through the gap in the insulation and close up the inner line with plaster or something and it should be grand

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Advertisement